• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car wont stay runing

helpme

Be Gentle I'm New Here
im trying to fix my sisters 97 contour and i cant figure out why it wont stay runing when i disconnect the battery.

we put a new alternator and battery. so we start the car and then dissconnect the battery and it stalls right out. we checked the mega fuse and that was good. and there was power to the alternator (the big red cable)

oh yeah the car was in a minor accident. they hit a telephone pole and cracked the bumper cover and it made it so the car wouldnt shift into gear. so we just snaped the little locking thing in the shifter.

i just wanted to throw that in there just in case

so i hope someone can help me out here....

Not good for the electrical system.
Once it's running, "Why" do you want to disconnect the battery?

im trying to fix my sisters 97 contour and i cant figure out why it wont stay runing when i disconnect the battery.

we put a new alternator and battery. so we start the car and then dissconnect the battery and it stalls right out. we checked the mega fuse and that was good. and there was power to the alternator (the big red cable)........
Welcome :) . You are NOT supposed to disconnect the battery when the car is running. The battery acts as a "surge protector". Reconnect the battery and if the car works, you are done.

Let's hope you did not fry any sensors or electronics with your disconnection of the battery while running.

Back