• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3Lduratec.com...

kidSVT

CEG'er
I just wanted to see how many people got their 3.0 from 3Lduratec.com, and how they're engine is doing. I'm tryin to get me a 3L but my dad is a little skeptical about the 60 day warrenty on the engines from 3Lduratec. I think they are reliable, but my dad found another website that has a 3 or 5 yr warrenty on the stock SVT engine.. they don't make 3.0 for the contour.
-Thanks! :laugh:

if you have a problem with it i'll go over to the owners houses and have a talk with them for you. they are good guys, and do good work!

If you blew your bearings out on the 2.5 you need to explain to your dad that it could happen again.

If it were my choice, Id talk to buckshot about trying to get a block done for me. He uses rather low mileage motors and gets everything ready to drop in. very respectable price too.

However if you cant drop it in yourself then you're stewed.

3lduratec is doing the same thing buckshot did, mostly because he's choosey about what he does since he had a few problems with people blaming him for their mistakes....etc.

They do great work with their engines. I bought a csvt from them last year with one of their 3L's already dropped in and have had no problems with my car at all. Great daily driver. Plus blackcoog really knows his **** and you cant go wrong buying a preped engine from him.

BTW, on the customer page that is my red csvt (though with its old wheels).

kidSVT, we have installed quite a few engines in many cars and haven't had any major issues. We will of course provide support after the sale for installation but you should know that the motors we install/provide are previously used motors. Of course, everything can break at any time but the warranty we are providing is to cover our behinds from owner-caused damage. We certainly wouldn't ruin our reputation over something petty.

With that said, of course if you abuse the engine or do damage to it, we aren't going to cover it. :)

Feel free to E-mail me if you have any more questions, I'd be more than happy to work out a sale with you.

Dan

3lduratec is doing the same thing buckshot did, mostly because he's choosey about what he does since he had a few problems with people blaming him for their mistakes....etc.

Close, but not quite. According to his website he's doing the modifications to make the engines work and uses up to 50K mile motors. Chris and I are approaching the engine work from two different angles. He's made his parts a commodity that he can get in and quickly turn around with minimal work. I'm doing more custom work by doing full rebuilds on less than 30K mile motors and offering a lot more options by starting out with a shortblock as my base price piece. I'm also including upgraded bearings in my rebuilds as well.

Thanks,
Rick

Agreed, Rick's motors are rebuilt. We are converting 3L motors to "ready to install" state. You are paying us for the 3L motor and the conversion process, NOT the rebuild process. We do use some new gaskets, but not nearly as extensive of rebuild as Rick is doing.

Rick, thanks for helping clarify.

Dan

Thanks for the feedback guys!

kidSVT our 3L engines are modified to fit into the SVT Contour/Contour/Cougar. They are not stock engines that we buy and resell. We are not a huge company that can offer long term warrenties. In comparison salvage yards rarely offer a warranty more than a few months unless you pay more. I suppose we could offer a 3-5 year warranty if we bought a new complete long block from Ford and modified it for the Contour/Cougar, but then the price would increase a few fold.

There really is no comparison when looking at a 2.5L (SVT or non SVT) vs. a 3L. The risk of oil problems with the 2.5L is too high. If you are going to switch to another engine go with a 3L no matter who you purchase one from. Keep in mind that you cannot find any 3L out there to drop into your car. They engines need to be modifed, fuel rails made, EGR fabbed, heads ported, sensor holes tapped, etc. The modifications needed all depend on which version you want to go with. (3L intakes or 2.5L intakes)

Last edited:
Keep in mind that you cannot find any 3L out there to drop into your car. They engines need to be modifed, fuel rails made, EGR fabbed, heads ported, sensor holes tapped, etc. The modifications needed all depend on which version you want to go with. (3L intakes or 2.5L intakes)

So are the modifications something my mechanic is going to have to do? or are they something you guys do?

And if i do end up getting an engine from you guys, which i hope i do, how does that work.. do you guys send me the engine? do i have to send you my car/engine? :confused:

So are the modifications something my mechanic is going to have to do? or are they something you guys do?

And if i do end up getting an engine from you guys, which i hope i do, how does that work.. do you guys send me the engine? do i have to send you my car/engine? :confused:

kidSVT,

We build the 3L and ship the engine to you, ready to drop into your car. Your mechanic won't have to do anything but actually install the engine in the car, you are paying us (3lduratec.com) to PREP the 3L for install into your car. We work with you to build the 3L for your specific car (fuel rail, intake type, etc).

The option to have us actually install the motor in your car is there as well, but that's obviously a more expensive option as you would have to get the car to us, etc.

Either way you will either have to send us your core parts ahead of time or pay us the core charges and we will refund your money after we get the parts back from your old motor.

Please E-mail me if you have more questions, would be happy to help you figure out your options.

Dan Neinstadt
DNeinstadt@hotmail.com

here's a stupid question, but i bet you guys are the ones to ask... If i got a taurus with the right engine could i do a real swap, and come out with two working cars? assuming i have two working cars to begin with :laugh:

Thanks..

-Evan

You mean put a 2.5L into a Taurus? I suppose it's possible. There are a couple points on the block that need modification on a 3L. So the 2.5L would lack in some areas. If the Taurus engine bay needs those spots you may have an issue.

To be a little more clear: The engine will drop in like a stock engine would. No modifications needed. If you went with the 3L upper intakes you would have to make a few vacuum line modifications which we cover in our instruction booklet that goes with the engine. The ported version will keep your stock upper intakes so the engine looks completely stock after the install.

Ooo, alright, that sounds good. I'm still waiting for my dad to get back to me about we're going to do, because well he's paying for it. But thank you for all your input, i'll keep in touch with you guys about what i'm going to do. Hopefully i'll know by the end of the week :laugh:

Try to push the fact that the 3L is more reliable. Leave the part about it being more powerful out. That way he might not decide to get the 2.5L to help keep you on the ground.

The 3L will help keep him from having to buy you another engine as soon.

Last edited:
I just wanted to add as far as the warranty goes...

In my opinion...

Most people who upgrade to a 3L, do it because it provides more power. And they want more power because they like to drive hard. So knowing that the engine is going to take a lot of abuse and be driven hard, thats a reason why there is only a 60 day warranty on it. It makes sense to me.

(I am not a part of 3L Duratec.com in any way)

Back