• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Vortech build

I have a pic but can't post it from work but one of the impeller vanes is cracked so it looks like you will need a new impeller. :-/.
Funds permitting, could be an oportunity to put an upgraded impeller in. I'm toying with the idea of ceramic bearings for my output shaft, so that if i change the pulley, i won't over speed the bearings.

I tried to pull the drive coupler off the S/C again with no luck yet. Hopefully a bit of heat helps that come right off as I don't think I can fit it in the press I have access to.

Mine came off with minimum force with a 4" bearing puller. :cool:

I've pushed the impeller shaft half way out, so that the inner edge of the impeller side output shaft bearing race, is just touching the input shaft gear wheel.

I'm having a problem getting the impeller side bearing on the input shaft, out of the impeller side casing.

Not sure which tool to use or how to approach extraction. Maybe when you get to that stage, you can tell me how you achieved it ... thanks .... G.

It is the elbow. That is a stupid place for it i must say.

#poop those are expensive. Not upgrading. Gains are not worth it, not to mention my precious wont fit anymore.

Ahdjdkabskdns

i went from 6-8 lbs of boost on the stock to 13 on the smallest pulley, it made quite the difference

what does the upgraded impeller do? i was looking at those when i had mine apart, but didnt see a good explination

Vortech build

This is a f to g trim conversion. According to vortech site its 75cfm gain. But the housing will be the same i think? So the gains might not even be that. Bigger impeller same size inlet outlet

Might have to do it if i cant get a f trim

what does the upgraded impeller do? i was looking at those when i had mine apart, but didnt see a good explination

creates 10-15% more airflow throughout the whole rev. range ..... if the infomercial is to be believed. They have a vid on youtube.

Got my unit stripped down woo hoo. Took a bit of swapping legs on my bearing pullers to get it done. Bad news is the high speed bearings are not silent like the input bearings. I'll have to see how much i can get 60k rpm bearings for.
Volute oil seal is cooked and crumbling .... G

New bearings mucho cashola from superchargerrbuild guy. Tried to find another source with same ratings with no luck.

New bearings mucho cashola from superchargerrbuild guy. Tried to find another source with same ratings with no luck.
yeah i saw that too.

The guy that built my tranny says he can get me bearings. So, the money i saved by stripping the unit myself, i will try to invest in ceramic bearings if possible. Failing that, 60 or 70k rpm rated bearings... G.

Ugh i hate you if you get them. Post part #'s

lol.. i didn't say i was getting them for free.

I'm expecting to pay in £'s what you pay in $'s... but as i said about the impeller, if you have to replace something, it can be better in the long run to upgrade... G.

Ceramic eh? I can contact them, but, i can bet they wont even be near rated 1/2 of the needed ~60,000rpm speed

I looked HARD for these. Weeks. You can find them, but it will be more for 2 bearings then a entire rebuild.

Ceramic eh? I can contact them, but, i can bet they wont even be near rated 1/2 of the needed ~60,000rpm speed

I looked HARD for these. Weeks. You can find them, but it will be more for 2 bearings then a entire rebuild.
i thought i'd try while the head unit is apart . G.

Got Beans's unit 90% stripped down yesterday afternoon. I need to clean all the parts and examine everything but there were no surprises when I tore the unit down. Like with my unit both seals were shot. Low speed bearings were just fine and high speed bearings were decent from what I could tell.

I also got the pins out of the couplers. I pressed them till they were flush with the back side and then had to drive them out by hand. Wasn't an awful job but it wasn't as easy as I was expecting either.

I should have tome time either tonight or tomorrow night to get some pics of the head unit fully disassembled. :)

EDIT: I can understand the desire for better bearings but from the 2 units I've disassembled the issue lies in the jackshaft bearings (pulley side) and the seals in the head unit. Even if the bearings do wear out you'll more than likely be doing a rebuild to replace the seals before that anyways.

Low speed bearings were just fine and high speed bearings were decent from what I could tell.

EDIT: I can understand the desire for better bearings but from the 2 units I've disassembled the issue lies in the jackshaft bearings (pulley side) and the seals in the head unit. Even if the bearings do wear out you'll be doing a rebuild to replace the seals before that anyways.

i'm not familliar with the bearings and i don't know how much play or noise is allowable. I can get the high speed bearings for $160 a set if anyone needs some. I might just buy them because you probably won't be able to find them when you NEED them ..... G.

It's hard to know for sure as spinning a bearing by hand with no load isn't really a great guideline. These bearings should spin easily with no rough spots. Aside from that they need to be loaded and at speed to know if they are good or not. I'd be pretty impressed if you were able to pull the high-speed bearings without having them separate and dropping the rollers everywhere. On these it can be easier to let them separate and use a puller on the cone left on the high-speed shaft. Less chance of damaging anything that way and you're already replacing the bearings anyways.

As far as play goes that's what the wave washers are for in the case, they set the preload.

my impeller side high speed bearing is silent, the input side one does make a little noise.

Going to take my shafts to someone who handles bearings all the time for a second opinion.

One question. It appears my shafts are preloaded on the input side of the casing only..... is that correct.?

I have no wave washer for the impeller side high speed bearing seat and the impeller side input bearing is still in the casing, so i can't see, thanks.... G.

Sweet can't wait to see how everything has come along. Have you git in contact with a machinist for the last missing piece?

Back