• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Y pipe comparison

Tracedyahxy

CEG'er
I'm thinking of putting a new Y pipe on my car, and it seems the two main suppliers are MSDS and BAT. I'm tempted to go with the MSDS pipe because it's like $100 cheaper than the BAT pipe, but I'm wondering about performance and compatibility.

I won't be able to get a catback or headers on my car right away (although they are in the picture at some point), so I need to know that I'll still have a full exhaust system after installing the new Y pipe.

Thanks,
Brian

They should both be compatible. The BAT pipe replaces both the y pipe and the catalytic converter, so it's alright that it costs more. The BAT should have a little more top end potential (especially if the car is tuned with it and a good flowing cat-back), but doesn't mount up the same as stock. MSDS fits EXACTLY like stock, meaning you can still use the hanger from the oil pan, and I believe there is one other hanger that I am not using now with my BAT pipe that the MSDS pipe or catalytic converter did have. Doesn't seem to affect overall integrity though, the BAT y pipe is still mounted very solid.

My two setups were MSDS Y pipe with Trubendz high flow cat (now on my Cougar) to the current BAT y pipe that includes a hi flow cat. Both were used with my MSDS headers to Borla catback.

no, it bolts in place of the stock y-pipe. unless your cat flange doesn't match it ...

Brapple is correct. THere is a 2 bolt flang with a donught gasket. Or a 3 bolt flange that bolts to the flex pipe.

Bat y-pipe- Just like redliner said. It is a y-pipe along with a high flow cat pipe combined. But you remove the front end u-bend that our cars pcm was designed for. So more spark is needed in certain rpms.

msds- Well the u-bend is still existing on this setup. But the bend becomes more of a V-bend. Which creates turbulence (kink) and slows exhaust flow down tremendously. But it does remove the center bar that is present in the curent stock y-pipe. Which is a major restriction on our cars.

It would be much cheaper to take your y-pipe to an exhaust shop..have them cut it up, remove the center bar and reweld everything back in place.

You can also look at trubendz for their custom y-pipe they offer. Their alum style is much cheaper then $400

Is there a need for custom y-pipe?
We have 3 options right now.
MSDS
Bat y-pipe
Trubendz y-pipe.

I think we are good with the y-pipe sections.

Better geometry
In some cases these y-pipes do not for fill the need that I see as for making a good y-pipe.
larger piping?
Larger pipe size is not needed.

We have made them for the SHO as well as Catbacks and headers.

Now our only option for a cat back is trubendz....and there quality sucks!

If you can make a comparable exhaust system around the same price as them...then people would be visiting your store more then there is. 90% (that is accurate number) of there exhaust systems have problems and there is no substitute company for us to purchase anything off of.

a good 2.5 inch catback system would be nice. Trubendz sucks like Harrry said.

If you wanted to, you could do a true duals type configuration too, and eliminate the y-pipe. If you had a well designed one that could be shipped without huge amounts of problems, I bet you would find some buyers for that.

Well we can do both type of systems but the true duals will cost more and make for a bit harder to install.

The 2.5 system would be more straight forward and you can select your own mufflers. I can get a car up with a system and sample a few mufflers and you can buy what ever you want for your own sound.

I need to get the sounds up from some systems, it sounds nice.

Well we can do both type of systems but the true duals will cost more and make for a bit harder to install.

The 2.5 system would be more straight forward and you can select your own mufflers. I can get a car up with a system and sample a few mufflers and you can buy what ever you want for your own sound.

I need to get the sounds up from some systems, it sounds nice.

Well thats exactly what trubendz has going right now...tubing only...or tubing kits with borla, magnaflow or flowmaster as our options.

If you can do that....then ceg will def be adding your name to the top of the list of sources for exhaust systems.

Since i am overhauling the exhaust section and doing full write ups for all exhaust options and features. You have my word you will be placed at the top of the list if your work is acceptable!

yeah just send me and harry a dozen of your catbacks so we can test them out for a while and decide if they are good:crazy:

oh wait.... I dont have a contour anymore.:blackeye:

yeah just send me and harry a dozen of your catbacks so we can test them out for a while and decide if they are good:crazy:

oh wait.... I dont have a contour anymore.:blackeye:

I like your think. I guess i'll test the first batch :)

As for the contour...you will be back :laugh:

Back