• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Xcal2 and LiveLink Help...

00TourSVT

CEG'er
i have been trying and trying to get any of my three computers and that includes my laptop to recognize my Xcal2. i am running XP and all computers and by the way. anyway i have loaded all the software and all the drivers and still i plug the xcal into the computer and it doesn't recognize it it just says unknown device, while even when i follow the steps to pick the driver with the manual it doesn't let me select the SCT file when i tell it to look there. and if i manually paste and clip it into there it won't recognize it. i need to datalog very badly.

i am growing very impatient with this very expensive device and i can't get anyone at SCT to return my emails...has anyone else had this problem? how did you fix it? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Last edited:
he forget the "s" to make it plural.

http://www.sctflash.com/downloads.php

click the drop down box and choose the "xcal 2 9400"
Download the BOTTOM two files, not the top one.

Download THAT as well.

Make sure to have Microsoft's ".NET Framework" installed.. I have had SERIOUS problems getting the XCAL to work with .NET 2.0..

Right now, I am running .NET version 1.1 (specifically, 1.1.4322 (4322 is the BUILD number of version 1.1) (you can tell under the Control Panel, then "add/Remove programs, scroll down to the "M's" and find "Microsoft .NET framework". Optionally, to get the build number, click the name of the framework once, then click the little link under the name that says "click here for support information".
If you DON'T have it, its right here (This is the 1.1 version.. if you wish to try 2.0, good luck.)

Now, once you have .NET, install the XCAL "windows driver", live load, and then (lastly) live link.

When you open Live Link, on the top right is a "COM x" selection. You need to see which com port your USB -> serial converter (the windows drivers) are configured for.

So.. plug in your XCAL to your laptop (you don't need your car) and it should say that it found your device, etc, etc.

open your control panel, and go to SYSTEM, then the hardware tab. Under HARDWARE, find your USB" hardware, and it should say "USB -> serial" (COM x) (where x is a number) that is the com port that you need to choose on the top right of Live Link.

close control panel, etc, and choose that same com port on live link.

plug the XCAL in to your CAR, and start your car. click the green "graph" icon on the top left and it will communicate with your XCAL, and then the laptop will say "downloading PIDS"..

You're in.

Last edited:
well, that was a great write up and i appreciate it, but still no dice. on my computer under hardware there is no USB hardware, i have to go under device manager and look at USB Bus Controllers or something and there is no (COM X) numbers at all? but i tried all the numbers in the car and still won't recognize the Xcal. This happens on all my computers, the all say device has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it when i plug it in. :nonono:

I really think there is something wrong with my Xcal, or it's USB port.

Update:

i thought maybe there is a chance the A/B USB cable is not any good. while here at the office i went and grabbed one from the tech guy and i'll be darn if it worked with the other cable......didn't know USB cables went bad?:shrug:

So...

the end result is that you have all the drivers installed, and a NEW (replaced) USB cable and you are experiencing NO problems..

Correct?

So...

the end result is that you have all the drivers installed, and a NEW (replaced) USB cable and you are experiencing NO problems..

Correct?

i can't say no problems at all yet, i am at work so i can't try it on the car. but with this new USB cable it for the first time was recognized by the computer and said found new hardware. Instead of it always saying "device malfunction windows does not recognize". i will try tonight to datalogg the car...thanks for your guys help.

Back