• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Would escape fuel rail fit?

GeorgeSVT

CEG'er
Hey I got a 2003 ford Taurus engin I'm putting in my SVT. Engine came with returnless fuel rail but one I had before some idiot cut off the cap and soldiered copper tube to make a return line and I thought that was the stupidest f$@&#%g thing I've ever seen. :nonono:It worked (I have no idea how) but it did. Anyways I want to do it the right way and I was at the junkyard yesterday and saw a 2002-2004 ford escape w/ the engine still and I was wondering if I could use the fuel rail off of that cause it has a return line. I'd greatly appreciate your help.

doin that with the fuel rail is a common mod instead of spending the money on the NPG fuel rail mod.

well, i can see why not. but it never hurts to gave it a try

Anyways I want to do it the right way and I was at the junkyard yesterday and saw a 2002-2004 ford escape w/ the engine still and I was wondering if I could use the fuel rail off of that cause it has a return line.

I didn't think the Escape rails had a return line, I thought all the 2000 and up 3L engines were returnless fuel systems.

I didn't think the Escape rails had a return line, I thought all the 2000 and up 3L engines were returnless fuel systems.

x2... I think you should take a picture of this fuel rail to show us what this thing looks like.

I think I understand what you are working with here, but let me know if I am off at all. You have an 03 Taurus 3L that's replacing the full 3L that was in your car. The existing fuel rail was a little sketchy so you are looking to clean this up. I guess for ease of install and a proven way to get a good fuel rail installed I would say take a look at the NPG fuel rail mod. This way you can use the rail that came with the engine you are now installing. I know it is an added expense, but it is a proven mod and it makes the returnless fuel rail a piece of cake to get working. You just need to make sure to tell them you have an 03 Taurus 3L and then it's plug and play. I don't know about you, but I wanted to minimize the amount of cutting and welding that went into my fuel rail and this thing really helps with that.

NPG fuel rail mod

Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing. The guy who put it in before me did a a hack job with soldier and copper tubing. Haha. I was kinda hoping not to spend too much money on it cause I also just found out that when I took off the tranny to switch it to the other engine that I need a new clutch so I'm getting a spec stage 1 clutch kit (it's my daily driver so I don't really want a stage 3 or anything) so that costing me enough. It works and everything but it's just way hidious

its recommended to repalce the clutch any time you will have the transmission of the engine. I mean, why not, its right there.

also for a DD get a stock SVT clutch kit. Read around on Spec, the quality has gone down hill and it might become a ticking time bomb. But its your call.

its recommended to repalce the clutch any time you will have the transmission of the engine. I mean, why not, its right there.

also for a DD get a stock SVT clutch kit. Read around on Spec, the quality has gone down hill and it might become a ticking time bomb. But its your call.

I'm just assuming this, but I would bet a stock SVT clutch kit would be cheaper than a Spec Kit.

I'm just assuming this, but I would bet a stock SVT clutch kit would be cheaper than a Spec Kit.

I just found a spec stage 1 online for $280. last I knew the SVT kit from ford was $300. But since its a Luk clutch I believe people have been getting them off ebay for ~$200 iirc.

Escapes didn't have a return line as mentioned above. Your only choice is to build your own return line (re-due the current setup appropriately with stainless line and pressure check it for leaks) or you can buy the NPG fuel rail mod. I have built return rails before by brazing on a stainless return line and those cars are still running fine with them years later. If you braze you will need to use silver brazing material for it to work on stainless and you can't use a propane torch (can't get hot enough) but MAP gas will work.

I do have the materials laying around (stainless line, extra rails, silver solder, flux, misc fittings, etc) to build it if you wanted to buy them off me for cheap. I don't think I'll use them again as I don't do full 3L builds any more. PM me if your interested.

Oh and I suppose a 3rd option would be to convert your car to a returnless car...

I just found a spec stage 1 online for $280. last I knew the SVT kit from ford was $300. But since its a Luk clutch I believe people have been getting them off ebay for ~$200 iirc.

That's right, ebay has them for about 220 bucks shipped from Gripforce. So he could save some cash on the clutch and get the NPG fuel mod or buy blackcoogs stuff and then all would be well with the fuel rail.

I bought a clutch from Gripforce and they were a good ebay seller, I had no issues.

What he said. A stock SVT clutch can easily hold a full 3.0L and it will have the longest life and best durability.

Well cool I guess I'll go with the stock clutch then. you guys mentioned people like luk and gripforce. Who should I go through to get a clutch cause I am lookin on eBay for a kit and I see a bunch of them but I don't know who I can really trust u know. Any recommendations?

Back