• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Winter protectant

Guitarman19853

Hard-core CEG'er
I would like to put something on the front of my car to protect it from rock salt chips this winter as i will be doing alot of winter driving... I dont really want to go with the 3M clear bra... my front bumper already needs repainted but i dont want it to get worse, plus i'd like to protect the hood and such. I've seen this Duplicolor Shield product that seems to do what i want it to do, but i want to get some thoughts from you guys.

In for answer.

I learned my lesson last year from following trucks too closely and I'm getting my front end repainted next spring :nonono:

I have a great solution for you that will save you some money too. Go buy a $500 winter beater that will get better mileage than the tour, cost less to insure, and you can take it off roading too. I did just that (except mine was $50 ) and have had the car going on 3 years now. Park the tour in your back yard.

I have a great solution for you that will save you some money too. Go buy a $500 winter beater that will get better mileage than the tour, cost less to insure, and you can take it off roading too. I did just that (except mine was $50 ) and have had the car going on 3 years now. Park the tour in your back yard.

I would, but I dont have any money. I have $400 to last me until i graduate (May) and bescides, I have nowhere to park the tour. I only get one parking spot at my dorm and if i park it at my parents house, it would be outside in the driveway anyways.

I would, but I dont have any money. I have $400 to last me until i graduate (May) and bescides, I have nowhere to park the tour. I only get one parking spot at my dorm and if i park it at my parents house, it would be outside in the driveway anyways.

off the road is better then driving it. my car stayed outside last winter, but it was under a car cover ... you could get a cheap car cover and be set to go ...

You could always take out a small loan for a beater if you absolutely had to. You could take it out as a general loan...and park the tour under a cover. You could stop paying insurance on the tour since you wouldn't be driving it and just pay for the beater...makes sense to me at least.

okay... i'm not buying a beater. its not like i'm driving a car with fresh new paint that i need to protect... i'm having the bumper repainted after college anyways. but i'm just trying to find a way to protect my bumper a little better this winter. so does anyone have any suggestions for that that isnt buying another car?

Besides some heavy coats of wax, not too much. :shrug:

Stay away from salt trucks and don't tailgate other cars so ice and salt doesn't fling up onto your bumper. Take your car to a brushless carwash somewhat often to prevent salt from caking onto your paint's finish. Wait until spring and do a complete makeover.

2-3 coats of wax are going on it over thanksgiving break. its almost a shame to make it shine so nice for the winter... but its for the protection not for the looks... lol that reminds me... why hasnt anyone ever invented car condoms?

why hasnt anyone ever invented car condoms?
eek5.gif

At least it would prevent STD's :nonono:

Back