• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

winter project

It has been awhile since the last update. The shop has been real busy and so have I with my sons graduation, gettin another car and some other stuff. The underside of the hatch is painted along with the jamb & rear section of the car. I spent alot of time myself cleaning every square inch of the rear panel and bumper support, priming and sanding to get it perfect. I took a couple of pic real quick and they are about 2wks old..
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I just got back to it the middle of last week since they are still busy. They gave me a hand putting the hatch back on but I spent a serious amount of time getting the hatch lines prefect has they can be. The hatch sat a little low at the roof line before which I think alot of them do. I looked at a few of them during recent car show and noticed how the hatch fits the opening and went from there to improve on the factory. anyways I took it back off and made 2 stainless shims to raise it a little and opened the holes a touch so I could get a little more side/side adjustment. It now lines up just about perfect with the roof line and the sides are much better than factory and it seals up nice and tight
thumb.gif
. I have prepped all the ground effects got all the spider cracks in the paint out and inside the mustang letters
thumbsdown.gif

I also test fitted the new oem bumpers to see how they would look and found out yet I need to do some more work since my anal side keeps showing through. The front cover needs a little build up on the very top and some on the sides to match up to the lines of the front fenders and for some reason on the pass side of the rear bumper where the extension bolts on I have a slight gap at the very bottom wher it starts to flare out but It's fine on the drivers side. must be something with the mold
dunno.gif
so I got to do some work and build up on that area also. I don't have any pics my son is using my camera on his trip and I haven't gotten it back yet but I will get some up asap. just wanted to keep the thread alive and let everyone who is following along know it's still ongoing. I'm jsut taking my time and making sure every square inch is touched, fixed and ready and getting all the lines near perfect. more updates soon.

I love that you're putting a lot of work in yourself, not just letting someone else do it all.
Keepin' ya busy, that's for sure huh? hehe
Looking fantabulous so far.

I love that you're putting a lot of work in yourself, not just letting someone else do it all.
Keepin' ya busy, that's for sure huh? hehe
Looking fantabulous so far.

Thanks Kim. It's cool my buddy lets me come in and do some stuff to it and I like the idea of being part of the process. keeping me busy yeah and I'm chomping at the bit to get it on the road. lucky i have the contour to fill the needs!

oh man this stang is going to be sick looking! i can not wait to see it finished! aw man, good for you. so far so good! those wheels will look excellent as well! i'm sooo fuggin jealous!

oh man this stang is going to be sick looking! i can not wait to see it finished! aw man, good for you. so far so good! those wheels will look excellent as well! i'm sooo fuggin jealous!

Thanks. It's been a big project but will be worth it in the end. next project will be the motor I'm going to build for it then call it done :ponder:

Go for 4-digit power like biminiLX ;)

No. I have a couple of friends with high hp stangs and they are cool but a handful on the street for one and cost way too much money and not reliable. 400+hp is my goal. a built 306 or 331 and maybe a supercharger. I have some combos speced out that are proven.

I finished the ground effects up and they sprayed them. I decided not to use the new oem rear bumper I bought and I'm going to redo the stock oem bumper from my car. I can get it to work but I don't want to rework a new oem bumper when I know the old one fits perfect. I took a shot and didn't want to spend the added labor of stripping the old one but now I'm going to. The front I pretty much new I would have to build up the front edges a little since the old stock one didn't fit perfect anyway. They started blocking down the body and getting that ready in between jobs. next is going to be to pull the hood, remove all the seam sealer like we did for the hatch, clean the underside and paint it. finish prepping the body, I'll get the bumpers done and get this damn thing into paint soon! I'm still hoping for some summer drives in it
thumb.gif

pics

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Got the rear bumper stripped down for the most part need to get the paint out of the embossed mustang letters. I also started to sand down the primer on the skirts to get them ready for paint. going to start on the under side of the hood next week. 1 guy is out on vaca and the shop is loaded with work so I'll be up there working on it alot to get it out the door buy the end of the month...hopefully. I'll never really ***** though for how long it's taking considering what my buddy is charging me and how detailed of a job we are doing.

some recent pics..

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

recent pic..

ry%3D400

here are some pics of the hatch alignment I did to ge the lines better than stock..

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Hey, what are you using for a primer gun? what size tip?

whatever the shop uses. I know it's a devilbiss gun but I'm not sure on the needle size. I'll ask when I get a chance. They just had a PPG rep at the shop going over water base. pretty interseting. They have to do a flow test on the ar movement of the booth and some other stuff + new guns and classes.

more OEM/NOS parts..

ry%3D400

door handles

ry%3D400

new complete lock set. I was going to repaint the stock ones but the keys where worn and a new set will add that finish touch and lok nice against the new paint and trim.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

NOS upper door mouldings & dew wipes

ry%3D400

NOS Hella fogs which are getting harder to find.

ry%3D400

misc decals.

ry%3D400

maximum ms braided hose kit

ry%3D400

My favorite find..NOS brand new rear cargo shade. extremely hard to find part.

next is researching a GPS vehicle recovery system. the hosue and garage are alarmed but I'm thinking of an xtra layer so I'm loking into it now. more updates to come.

lojack..it' the only company i know of that outfits local and state police with the dedicated tools for recovery.

Back