• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

winter beater

stilov

CEG'er
I'm looking for one. I just don't feel good about a 25 mile one-way commute on the freeway with 400hp 369 tq and 285 rubber on the back in a RWD.

Especailly not after last year. Honestly, I would love to find an older beater BMW...like e12, e28, e30 or e21.
Anyone know of anything? I was going to look at an E21 today...the guy wouldn't let me come and see it...he said he promised to show it to someone else. I said " I have the money and can come get it now...you don't want to trade a 'for sure' for a 'maybe'" guess he did.

My dad might be interested in selling the Audi, its a 1995 90 quattro. It's for sure a beater(went through my sister) but works great in the snow, let me know if you are interested, and it's local!

That Tahoe you had would have been good. If the winters aren't that bad within the city for the most part, a lesser BMW might suit you better though..... rather than taking the M5 out to slide off a round-a-bout freeway exit and hitting a tree in a spirited winter drive :laugh: :shrug: ;)

dude...the tahoe was pretty junky.
I drove a 325ix 1990 today for cheap...salvage title, and i drove very nice. It's the AWD drive one...paint wasn't very good though.
Anyone know much about Jeep cherokees?

Straight six is pretty easy to work on, lots of engine bay room. They go for a while too, my friend in high school had a 94 and it ran like a champ. Have you looked for a scooby at all? I think Fort Collins has to be the king of Subaru sales. Honestly though I don't think you would really need an AWD car for the Fort Collins snow, unless we happen to get hammered like last year. I drove the Contour SE with the 2.5 and 3.0 fine in the snow around there, roads are usually prepped really well.

Here's a good question. What's your price range for your winter car?

Jeep Cherokees' are damn good! Some have issues with a leaky valve cover gasket and call for a replacment cover and gasket, but that's about as bad as they get IIRC, and that's like pre 92.
4.0 will run forever with regular oil changes. Overall, they're very well built. Modified, they are amazing off-road! Even slightly mod'd, they can do very well. A small lift (4") and some 33's will keep it very streetable, you can still tow with it and with sway bar disconnect you're able to get great off-road action in them IMO. I'd try to get one of the last year Cherokees. They're going pretty cheap these days, and they're the most refined obviously.

Really I was trying to go for about 2000. I don't want a major project. I kind of really want a BMW, bu I felt like I was talking myself into the ix...I saw a 95 Cherokee that needs he corner glass in the front doors (broken into) for 1500 I also saw an SHO for pretty cheap. Also an E30 BMW that needs a corner glass for 750!!!

Yeah, one real bad thing about the Cheroke's is they are so easy to steal that they are a target for joy riders or worse.

My friend has an ix and it's a fun car! If the paint isn't that great, paint it next year if you want to keep it or maybe some black primer and keep it for a winter warrior?

Yeah, one real bad thing about the Cheroke's is they are so easy to steal that they are a target for joy riders or worse.

My friend has an ix and it's a fun car! If the paint isn't that great, paint it next year if you want to keep it or maybe some black primer and keep it for a winter warrior?

You forget he lives in Fort Collins, the only thing that gets stolen there is a pack of gum and maybe some lawn knomes. LOL Fort Collins honestly is the one city you don't have to worry about things getting stolen. Many of my friends parents leave their keys in their car when they park them in the garage and my parents usually will leave the house unlocked.

I am going to look at an 88 4Runner today.... I used to have an 86...I like 'em and this one has a new clutch and some other stuff...you know a 7MGTE Toyota engine bolts up to those?? Sweet huh? I also happen to have been through a couple of those engines in my time.

Back