• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wideband....

starjammir

Hard-core CEG'er
Should my wideband be bouncing around like my narrow band did? Its showing that my car is lean while driving (which I dont think is right) and while I shift it shows -- - On the display. It seems to bounce around while I am driving too. The car has not been tuned. Any thoughts on this?
Bill
BTW its an AEM 6n1 UEGO

Mine goes lean between shifts (often off the gauge (--)). Normal driving, it bounces around 14.2-14.8 and at idle it's a solid 14.7. WOT it's between 12.0 - 13.5 depending on which gear I'm in... the higher the gear, the more lean it is. <-- I'm not sure if that's normal.

Mine is currently grounded to the cabin structure beams... I'm thinking about routing it back to the engine bay and grounding it to the block (as I've seen suggested in a Innovate howto guide).

Whenever your car goes into closed-loop your AF should bounce between richer/leaner. In open loop the computer relies on the narrow band O2 and it will try to maintain a certain AF

Also, just because it runs leaner that stoich under cruise is not necessarily a problem. It is fine to see 14-16:1 under light cruise.

expect to see 14-15 at idle

When you go full throttle you should see it settle down and stop bouncing. Expect anywhere from 11:1 to 13:1 under full throttle.

Oh so at full throttle is when I should see how things actually are? I guess it is working right then if thats the case. Even though I didnt really watch it at ful throttle as I am trying to figure out if there is any cops around.

Oh so at full throttle is when I should see how things actually are? I guess it is working right then if thats the case. Even though I didnt really watch it at ful throttle as I am trying to figure out if there is any cops around.

Well you are seeing how things actually are all the time. That is how they are, bouncing around like that within a limited range. It shouldn't be bouncing way low/high signifying really rich and really lean though. The range of fluctuation should be fairly tight, like I said between say 13-14 and 15-16 on the high end.

You should watch it under full throttle, that is when you find out whether you are lean/rich and making or losing power.

kinda on topic but where is the best place to install a widewand sensor, I think I read it was sugges tit be installed on the y-pipe near the main cat ...

I had my bung installed on the cat pipe... in front of the cat and on the top. From there, I drilled a 1" hole through the floor (between the braces and shifter cables) for the sensor to run through. I used a 1" grommet and everything sealed up nicely. From inside, that hole is below the carpet under the heater assembly, so you can easily fold it out of the way for drilling (from underneath). I'm not saying this is the best way... just the way I went. My y-pipe is wrapped and painted... so I didn't really want a hole cut in it.

well I read that it should be on the top half of the pipe, guess I will go for in the y-pipe then before the main cat ...

well I looked at it today while going to work and it goes to 14.8-15.8 at cruise and at idle its at 15.2-3 or so. I did not get to go WOT with it.

Do you know if you have an exhaust leak? Those numbers seem a little high. You may also want to reset the computer to reset your adaptive fuel trims and see what is says.

Ill try to reset the comp today. I do not have an exhaust leak as I was just in the exhaust shop and had them check everything over. (iv been going to this place for years and only trust them with my exhaust stuff)

Starjammir, do you still have the stock exhaust manifolds or are you running headers? I can't recall.

This can have a pretty big impact on an O2 sensor.

Back