• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

wideband

Buy one off of Ebay for maybe a cheaper price and one that also comes with the serial cable output, CD-rom, and LED with toggle switch.

Last edited:
Yea I just checked out ebay, and I can get the above for like $180 shipped. It says it comes with all software so...

I never looked at the XD-16 guage before.. but it's cool that they bundle it with the LC-1 and stuff for only $399.

Question?

Question?

Can I just plug in the wide band O2 sensor into the first O2 bung? Does the PCM have any issues with the new sensor type?

Maybe I should just ask a question, cause I don't know what I am talking about... If I want to put in a good wide band air fuel guage, (for future tuning) how do I do this?

Thanks

Innovative's site has all those answers. The LM-1/LC-1 have two pigtails. One of them has a default setting for O2 sensor compatibility... meaning you can plug it into the ECU and replace a functioning O2 sensor. The 2nd connector would be for datalogging or guage. Both connections are also programmable.. so you can do whatever you want with them.

Hmm, I did not know that. Well, I found that bit of info on their website. Doesnt seem like is has a seperate pigtail, but it is possible. It also seems like a temp. solution, and not something you would do long term. Plus, if its uses its analog output for the ECU, how can you datalog (with something like an Xcal2?). I believe that needs the analog output for recording AFR.

Connecting the LM-1 to simulate a narrow band oxygen sensor
Note: This is from section 11 of the LM-1 Manual
It is possible to install the wide-band sensor in place of the OEM oxygen sensor. In this case the meter's analog output signal will replace the OEM oxygen sensor's signal to the fuel injection computer. EFI equipped cars typically incorporate a narrow band oxygen sensor. These sensors are typically 1, 2, 3 or 4 wire sensors.
The analog output connector of the LM-1 can simulate the operation of a narrow band sensor while the wide-band oxygen sensor is installed in place of the OEM narrow-band sensor. Factory equipped Analog output 1 of the LM-1 is programmed to simulate a narrow band sensor. Some vehicles are equipped with oxygen sensors that do not produce an output voltage but change their resistance depending on exhaust gas content. These sensors cannot be simulated. They are used in less than 1% of all vehicles. Refer to your vehicles specifications if you think that your vehicle may be in this category. The same is true for vehicles already factory equipped with a wide-band oxygen sensor. These cannot be simulated either.
Some EFI-computers will create a fault when the heater power wires of the oxygen sensor are disconnected. In this case mount the old oxygen sensor in a safe place (but not necessarily in the exhaust) and connect the heater wires to it to keep the EFI-computer happy.
Be careful where you mount the stock sensor, as heated sensors will get hot.
To connect the LM-1 to the EFI-computer, first determine what kind of narrow band sensor is used, then follow the instructions below (you will need a digital multimeter to determine correct OEM sensor wires):
a. Vehicle has a 1-wire sensor:
Wire analog output 1 directly to the wire.
b. Vehicle has a 2-wire sensor:
While the engine is off determine which of the 2 wires has a low resistance between the wire and the sensor body. This is the heater power for the sensor. Wire analog output 1 directly to the other wire. Leave the heater power wire unconnected but make sure it cannot ground itself or see above.
c. Vehicle has a 3-wire sensor:
Typically the 3 wires are: heater power, Ground, and sensor element connection.
Generally they have 1 black wire and 2 white wires. Connect the black wire from the EFI computer to analog output 1 of the meter. Leave the other wires unconnected but make sure they cannot contact any metal parts or see above. If the wiring colors are different, then heater power can simply be determined by measuring the voltage on the wires when the engine is running. The wire showing 12V or more is the heater power. The sensor element connection voltage fluctuates around 0.45V when the car is warmed up. Wire analog output 1 directly to this wire. The Ground connection has low resistance to chassis ground (less than 1 Ohm). Measure while the engine is off.
d. Vehicle has a 4-wire sensor
Typically the 4 wires are: heater power, heater ground, sensor ground, and sensor element connection. Proceed as for the 3-wire sensor.

don't need wideband

don't need wideband

Just Drill Into The Cat And Used A Gm 02 Sensor. It Is Working Find On My Svt.used The One Wire 02 Sensor

Innovative's site has all those answers. The LM-1/LC-1 have two pigtails. One of them has a default setting for O2 sensor compatibility... meaning you can plug it into the ECU and replace a functioning O2 sensor. The 2nd connector would be for datalogging or guage. Both connections are also programmable.. so you can do whatever you want with them.

The LC-1 is great! Using a laptop and datalogging everything, or hooking it into your XCAL2 with a cable for datalogging is even better.
It also drives the gauge they sell, a nice option.

Don't replace a factory sensor, just have the O2 bung they provide welded on right in front of the catalytic converter by an exhaust shop. It shouldn't cost more than $30-40.
This way you get the combined A/F of both banks and leave your stock O2 circuits untouched. Once you screw with them you'll get more problems later....

AEM has a nice wideband controller/gauge combo for less than Innovates lm-1/xd-16 combo. That is, if you are looking to have a gauge...otherwise if the LM-1 is great alone.

AEM has a nice wideband controller/gauge combo for less than Innovates lm-1/xd-16 combo. That is, if you are looking to have a gauge...otherwise if the LM-1 is great alone.

Honestly, I still like the LC-1 better because of the great software package it comes with. The gauge is nice too. The AEM one works well also and I had some experience using the data from the one in BurritaSVT's car.
However, after all I still like the LC-1 better. Maybe I'm partial because I've had both the LC-1 and the LM-1.

Back