• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

wide track tires

newb

Hard-core CEG'er
i picked up some 245-40-16 BF Goodrich Comp T/A's. the guy i picked them up from said he used to run them on his csvt for track events, they have alot life left so im thinking about mounting these on the e1's now my question is will these fit or am i looking at some fitting issues... thx guys.

You sure those weren't 245/45-16? 245/40-17 is a very common size, but I don't think anyone makes a 245/40-16.

Pretty much any 245 section tire is going to spec an 8" wide "measuring rim" and 7.5" minimum wheel. 245/45-16 is what I run on both my track cars on 8" wheels. The E1 wheels are 6.5" wide, this is said to be a cantilevered mounting, because the sidewalls are severely pulled in and the tread will not be well supported. Frankly, you'd get better transient and steady-state cornering performance from a narrower tire, say 225 or even 215 on a 6.5" wide wheel. If you just want fat tires, so be it, but watch out for clearance to the rear strut tube and wheel well sheet metal.

ya,45 not 40 sorry.

i got th set for ten bux, so i think ill make it work, maybe pick up an aftermarket set. thx for the info.

Back