• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Who here might be interested in ........

Who here might be interested in ........

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you already mentioned this... but I want to make sure I'm clear:

Can you state exactly what will be part of the kit.... and also which (if any) parts are optional, if we already have the parts?

One reason I'm asking.... It sounds like a wideband will be part of the kit. I would like to get a wideband now, but if it is included and not optional, then I'd rather wait. If this will be optional (and would lower the kit cost), I'd rather get the WB now.

Now the thing that really sucks is that it'll take me a while to save up for this kit, yet I'm still checking this thread for updates at least 2 times a day.

Last I heard, a wideband is not part of the kit. Just remember, the more stuff in the kit the more it costs.
A wideband is a good idea though.

Hey guys, as far as tuning, xcal2, etc........

There is more than one way to skin this cat. There is Diablosport Chips and SCT Chips, probably still superchips out there. There is standalone as well.
You should be able to pick the tuning solution you want from the tuner you want rather than be stuck with only one option.

I envision us being able to provide the tuning solution IF unless you have your own solution lined up. Lets say you want the kit and you don't know what to do at all with the tune side. Well that is fine. We'll advise you on the best way to go that will save you the most money, but you'll still have to pull out your wallet, plain and simple.
For us, the XCAL2 is convenient because we can send tunes and it can be loaded. WE can sell the xcal2 with the tune loaded in. We would like your business instead of someone else getting it and we have probably the most experience with successful tuning of a boosted contour.

One thing everyone seems to be forgetting is that many cars have slightly different issues and one tune really doesn't work for all of them. ADC sold theirs with a tune but in order to get it "REALLY TUNED" you had do show up there or somewhere else and do dyno tuning....AT GREATLY INCREASED COSTS!

So we can't give something for nothing. We can provide a basic tune to keep it from blowing up and hopefully it will run well. One car may have issues that are not related to the tune or the turbo that can throw off the operation. THERE ARE TOO MANY VARIABLES out there!
But, if you want detailed fine tuning you are gonna have to pay for it.

First things first will be the hard parts anyway, hot and cold side, turbo, etc.
THEN the engine management will be dealt with.

Well done Tom I will leave the tuning answers to you ...lol.

I received the stage 2 intercooler it is alot thicker than by 1" which give the 6" extra surface flow for less restriction on the 3 liters and low compression fully built SVT 2.5's. The Intercooler will be the maximum allowed size which is good for 700 cfm because any larger you will have to cut frame etc.

I also received the 38mm Wastegate adjustable to run on the kit here are some pics of the new parts
wastegate_001.jpg

wastegate_003.jpg

Then... if I have a Cougar 2.5L with SVT mods (UIM, LIM, TB and cams) Can I use the stage1 kit with stock interiors (oem pistons...) without problems?
What is the final hp estimate for my car? and about milleage?.. how much will be incremented it?

it hasn't been tested on the test cars yet, they can't give out any raw hp numbers yet, but the guestimation sure sounds impressive to bolt on a daily driver! they are estimating around 275 whp for the 2.5 V6

Last edited:
it hasn't been tested on the test cars yet, they can't give out any raw hp numbers yet, but the guestimation sure sounds impressive to bolt on a daily driver! they are estimating around 275 whp for the 2.5 V6

I think you have to be careful with HP estimates. We can't guarantee anything with the broad range of cars out there.

Suffice it to say that 99 and earlier stock cars should cap out their boost pressure to around 7psi so as not to risk too much. If you the buyer want to carefully raise the boost later, its on you.
This is PR=1.47 almost 50% more airflow than a stock contour gets, so the crank hp could increase by that much if not more.

An svt should set down around 275 wHP with this kit, but a stock SE contour/cougar may not.
I'd be looking around the 240/240 wHP/wTQ for 6-7psi on a stock SE/Cougar type, with higher numbers if you have head work. This is a safe expectation and of course could go higher if carefully done.
This puts you in the HP range of Many of the higher end cars today and with as much torque as any boosted car out there.

If you port your heads and do some chamber work to lower the compression you could be seeing significantly more.

i meant the SVT model (didn't mean to be unclear) and not the stock 2.5 motor for the estimated 275 whp, and with head work and etc on the SVT u can expect bigger gains over stock which is awlays great.

Last edited:
Are the 99 and lower SE contours the ones that are stuck with the "crappy" pistons?

Is this the reason for the 7lbs limit?

What is a street able amount of HP/boost for our cars?

Beats me :shrug:...let us know when you figure it out!

J/k! Streetable is in the eye of the Beholder.
I can imagine that 250/250wHP/TQ would be very streetable and suitable for 13's on a contour with a fair driver.

More is not always better. A 3L turbo with mild boost will set down 300wHP. That 300wHP comes with traction issues so it requires additional changes. For a stock Contour 250wHP will be suitable for much of the stock hardware. This is exactly where we think our kit will be going on the non-svt.

Warmonger,

From your experience would you say that the ATX would hold up under 250 hp, non-drag conditions? Some of us are more interested in just having an extremely cool cruiser.

If the ATX isn't going to work I'll just ebay my ATX SE and find a five speed. I honestly would rather not, however. I want something that's going to do 40-on pulls, etc.

Who knows about this? I read someone post something about "taking the ATX as far as it can go", but I don't remember who that was.

I think that the Xcal2 should be included in the kit. Becouse there are more people that don´t have it that people that have it yet.
And if the kit will be more expensive for this cause. I prefeer that it be included. For example in Spain, I know all modified Cougars here, all it are CTC members and no one have the Xcal2, and I think that we will buy 4 or 5 in the first year.

Our european PCM code is different. (Mine shows "USES" code on the sticker. What about yours?)

So we could need to buy another PCM from the States and deal with PATS at the dealer, as the XCAL2 won't work with our firmware to my knowledge.

Yes, I´m from Spain. I have in my car ST200 UIM, LIM and TB now. When I will install the turbo kit I will put in the ST200 cams too. I have the ST200 ECU (PCM) in my garage, then I can´t use the Xcal2 that coming with the kit with my OEM ECU, and neither the St200 ECU that I have? Can you investigate it?
It´s a very big problem for the people that like to buy your kit.

Yes, I´m from Spain. I have in my car ST200 UIM, LIM and TB now. When I will install the turbo kit I will put in the ST200 cams too. I have the ST200 ECU (PCM) in my garage, then I can´t use the Xcal2 that coming with the kit with my OEM ECU, and neither the St200 ECU that I have? Can you investigate it?
It´s a very big problem for the people that like to buy your kit.

Yes but it has a simple answer. You wouldn't need the ST220 PCM since you are doing custom tuning ANYWAY.

For all of you worried about it, you only need a PCM from a car that does not have PATS because a tune for a boosted car does not use any of the stock programming anyway.
If you have to change pcm then you just pick one that is common, cheap and can be swapped over with minimal effort.
Should be something that can be worked out.
OR, just get a tune there in UK/Spain/Germany, etc.

Warmonger,

From your experience would you say that the ATX would hold up under 250 hp, non-drag conditions? Some of us are more interested in just having an extremely cool cruiser.

If the ATX isn't going to work I'll just ebay my ATX SE and find a five speed. I honestly would rather not, however. I want something that's going to do 40-on pulls, etc.

Who knows about this? I read someone post something about "taking the ATX as far as it can go", but I don't remember who that was.

People have ran the ATX with a 3L which has increased torque. They put in upgraded stuff that was supposed to handle the torque. However it seems the upgraded stuff was what 'Failed', not the trans itself.
I would think that you could easily handle moderate boost with an ATX as long as the turbo kit will work.
In your case, 6psi non-intercooled with water injection may be more than sufficient to put you to a good 200-220 wHP on an ATX.

We would have to actually test it out of course by building a compatible setup. Then your trans must be in decent shape. I'm willing to work with it though if we can get an ATX car over by Burritas house, or by mine. Keep in mind that I will be moving soon so I cannot do any more fabrication work here until I get moved.
I'm being stationed back in Texas so I'll be north of Austin.

OR, just get a tune there in UK/Spain/Germany, etc.

No way!. We want the real deal. Warmonger's tuning expertise or nothing! :)

So if I got it right, we could buy a Cougar PCM with the right codes from car-parts.com, disable the PATS code at the dealer and flash it with your tune.

I''l have to chek if the Ford service here is willing to do it. Anything more difficult than changing oil and they get stressed :)

Otherwise, could the spare one CTC has, be any useful if shipped to you (or SCT?). Perhaps it could be read or something?.

Well. Let's keep this thread on topic and talk... TURBO!. We could address this PCM trouble when necessity arrives.

No way!. We want the real deal. Warmonger's tuning expertise or nothing! :)

So if I got it right, we could buy a Cougar PCM with the right codes from car-parts.com, disable the PATS code at the dealer and flash it with your tune.

I''l have to chek if the Ford service here is willing to do it. Anything more difficult than changing oil and they get stressed :)

Otherwise, could the spare one CTC has, be any useful if shipped to you (or SCT?). Perhaps it could be read or something?.

Well. Let's keep this thread on topic and talk... TURBO!. We could address this PCM trouble when necessity arrives.

I don't know the european standards on the combuters and OBD2. It is possible it will work.

If you buy a used pcm from an american junk yard then you can pick your year and type. Then you have to see if it is a direct plug and play in your european car. Assuming it works, then you buy the American XCAL2 and I can then hook you up.
You must do the research to find out if your pcms are OBD2 compliant and that helps you figure out which way to go.

have you even started building the piping setup? loooots of talk and all ive seen is pics of an intercooler, and a piping kit?

have you even started building the piping setup? loooots of talk and all ive seen is pics of an intercooler, and a piping kit?

And 25 days after this thread has started with an interest check, people are already complaining about this kit not being made fast enough. :nonono:

These people do have jobs and are probably doing this in their spare time. Not to mention, just a couple posts up from this one Tom said, "Keep in mind that I will be moving soon so I cannot do any more fabrication work here until I get moved. I'm being stationed back in Texas so I'll be north of Austin."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back