• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Whats The Most PITA Mod You've Done So Far?

now that i think about it...i swapped in a svt engine into my 96se..dropped the subframe to do it..bigggggggggggggggggggggggggg mistake:blackeye:

I'd say suspension definitely depends on the car. I had all four corners out in my SVT in probably 2 hours, first time doing it. Cougar would've been easy too but the pinch bolts both broke so I ended up pulling the entire hubs and drilling them out.

I'd say the Headers wins. A clutch job you expect to be difficult on any car, but on most cars headers are much easier.

I'd say suspension definitely depends on the car. I had all four corners out in my SVT in probably 2 hours, first time doing it. Cougar would've been easy too but the pinch bolts both broke so I ended up pulling the entire hubs and drilling them out.

I'd say the Headers wins. A clutch job you expect to be difficult on any car, but on most cars headers are much easier.

talon headers were done in like 1 hour.

I would say my engine swap not much of a mod but that was a pita!!! Jeff even said it was THE hardest swap he's ever done. Everything just kept breaking. Everything that could've gone wrong did, but in the end it was worth it. MMM sexy duratec with an intake and headers.

Puke:

i retract my recent statement.

i think the MSD ignition was the biggest PITA because i went back and forth with MSD until i figured it out. then it was as easy as splicing 10 wires total, and mounting it where it would look cool.

When I did my wheel bearing on the Mystique that was a PITA!

Worst part was the rotor was rusted onto the hub.... Tried heating, tried full swings with a 10lb sledge, that :censored: wouldn't budge... Ended up grabbing my sawzall and cutting the rotor. After that I took a wedge and put it in the spot where I cut the rotor and whacked away till the rotor finally broke in two pieces...

At this point I figured I might as well do the other side too. Same thing, rotor completely seized on...

Sawzall FTW!

Here's what I've done (on multiple Contours), in order of the most difficult:

Hard stuff:
1. MSDS Header install (Twice. Worst part? Getting the EGR tube disconnected/connected from manifold/header.)
2. Clutch Install (dropping only the transmission; getting transmission mounted back in place is a major pain)
3. Driver's side axle change (sometimes it just doesn't want to pop out)
4. Changing headlight bulbs on pre-98 (getting bulbs seated in the socket is very annoying)
5. Rebuilding upper intake tract (lots of gaskets & o-rings to keep track of and lots of cleaning along the way)

Surprisingly Easy Stuff:
-Strut/Spring install (three times -- now only takes me 30 minutes/corner!)
-Clutch Install (when the engine is out)
-Fuel pump install (no cutting necessary on pre-98's)
-Metal water pump upgrades
-DPFE (someone else mentioned this, but said it was hard -- my replacement took just a few minutes)

With the right tools and some research before the project, some projects aren't that bad. The Duratec engine bay is too crowded, which makes the MSDS Header install (with the engine still in place) a major pain -- with the engine out, the headers go on in just a couple of minutes.

One project I never attempted: Installing the engine block heater -- I never could locate the massive hex driver tool needed to remove the plug in the block.

I would say my engine swap not much of a mod but that was a pita!!! Jeff even said it was THE hardest swap he's ever done. Everything just kept breaking. Everything that could've gone wrong did, but in the end it was worth it. MMM sexy duratec with an intake and headers.

That is why I don't like working on SVT's that have been sitting for a long time, especially outside over chicago winter weather!! I have one SVT that I bought with a blown motor that has been sitting for almost 5 years! :shocked: I'm afraid as hell to start working on it! The guy who replaced Matt's clutch was one heck of a hack mechanic and so we fixed all his bull**** with stuff from my parts cars! I am still amazed at the stuff people do when putting these things together. :nonono:

my most PITA mod will be my cam gears. Its a zetec, everything i right there and if the engine is cold i could probly touch the ground with my arm or leg(or both), engine and everything still in it. Sucks to be you V6 guys :p

Biggest pain I had was trying some other cams that didn't work out and having to pull them back out later on and put in the stock cams. With the installation, Tom and I did it so that wasn't too bad, but for putting the stock cams back I did that on my own and it took about a week working on it during and after work at goodyear (they let me use a bay to do it).
Headers would be the next thing. And now my rear header is leaking.

Back