• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What's the best airport to fly into?

Swazo

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm crunching numbers to see if I can make it to the 10th SZ. I can either drive 22 hours in my truck and spend about $300 in gas, or I can spend $432 for a flight that has 1 stop with a layover which amounts to 20 hours of intransit time. :crazy:

What's the largest airport in the area? Grand Rapids GRR? It would take me 5 hours to fly there, and less than an hour to drive a rental to Kalamazoo :help:

kalamazoo/battle creek international air port? :cool:

Thats 8 mins from SZ :shrug:

Damn glad to see you interested in coming!

Have you tried pricing out to major airports to see if they're cheaper?
(Detroit, Chicago, Ft Wayne, etc)
Perhaps you could beg someone to pick you up from one of the other airports on their way to K-zoo.
Looks like the ones I listed above are all 2+ hour drives to K-zoo.

As far as MI goes, Detroit is typically cheaper to go in/out but that depends on the other side of the flight. I'm right between Lansing and Flint and many times flights out of those lay me over in Detroit, so more $$. But it is a drive to Kzoo from there. I would look at them all including Chicago, GR, Lansing, Flint, Detroit. It's free to price right? And if one of them has a shorter trip for a decent price, that would be my aim. Anything past 1-2 hours layover sux. BTW, I've driven to Salt Lake...It's a trip and a half!

So, aside from Kzoo's airport, GR and Lansing are closest. Bear in mind that Detroit(DTW) is way outside Detroit and is <2 hours drive.

Harry, The 20 hour flight is to Kalamazoo. The airport looks like it's litterally down the street. Still..... it would be cheaper and within 2 hours of time of each other to drive.

I have checked Chicago, Detroit, Lansing, GR, and a couple of others. They're all about the same price (350-480) and with a rental that's worth while, it would be quite a bit more. I was going to stay a few more days just to check the area out and maybe venture into Canada, or I might have asked for a ride.

Try to price out Grand Rapids. It's only an hour from Kzoo and you can get pretty good rates in/out. I can pick ya up.

i could maybe stop off and grab you but its hard to match your schedule with mine and all so you might be waiting an hour or two at the air port

Kalamazoo usually has pretty good rates as does South Bend, IN (SBN) If you fly into either I'd be happy to pick you up. You'd need a ride back to whatever air port though since I have to leave on Sunday to head to Chicago to catch a flight myself.

Mark

Wow, thank you all for the ride offers! You're all making it easier to justify going to SZ this year. I've been kicking myself for not going sooner. Now it's just a matter if it works out with my work schedule.

I saw a thing on the local new with flights from GR to major cities. They were talking about rate drops. In your OP you said something about $400. There are much cheaper rates than that.

Here's AA flights from Salt Lake to GR. $312 total with 1 stop in Chicago.

https://www.aa.com/aa/reservation/f...Filter=1&bookingPathStateId=1238640024886-488

or you can fly straight to O'Hare for $178.
https://www.aa.com/aa/reservation/f...Filter=1&bookingPathStateId=1238640024886-488

Straight to Detroit which easier to get to Kzoo from is $230. The airport is right on 94 and they'll be more ppl that can pick up I'm guessing.
https://booking.frontierairlines.com/InternetBooking/AirFareFamiliesFlexibleForward.do

I'd be your Taxi for GR but you'd have to find someone else for Chi trans.

Bummer, then links are expired... but I feel ya. I honestly only checked Priceline and another that AliasJ said he used in another post.

GR or Kal are the 2 I would prefer to fly into. If I'm going to fly somewhere, it'd better be somewhat close to where I need to go.

I could take a train, but the whole 30+ hours of staring out a window would have me bouncing off the walls. It is only $150, but not worth the savings.

That's what I used. Then when I get a price I go straight to the airline's site. Always cheaper to go to the source.

Back