• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Whats next?

my98SVTturbo

Hard-core CEG'er
ok so imight be selling my CSVT soon. idk..im having to many problems with it. so these are my two options for cars right now

either a 02-03 JRSC SVT Focus ( either silver or blue)
or a 00-02 Lincoln LSV8 and id put the LSE kit on it

im planning on getting a 03` cobra in about 2 years once i get out of school and get a real job and want to keep which ever car i get. but i want something nice for the man time and as a nice Daily driver for when i have the cobra.

or should i just forget the other 2 cars and try to get a loan for the cobra now? im under 18 so im gonna need my parents to co-sign it for me but i have enoguh money to get a 5 year loan for it and pay the outrages amount of insureance on it under my parents names. the problem im seeing is not being able to afoord the loan ..cuz i will be able to. but the hard part will be trying to get a bank to give me a loan since i have no credit history. i dont know what to do about that. any ideas?

any suggestions?

Last edited:
X2 on the affordability of a terminator out of college. Fix the tour if you can

high. school.

I'm very curious how you plan on affording an 03 cobra straight out of high school without mommy and daddy helping.

cost of low mileage 03 cobra: 23,000 (est)
sales tax: 5%

total: 24,150

APR: 10% (if you're lucky & co-signer has immaculate credit)

60 month loan payment: 513.12/month
total payback amount: 30,787.20

monthly insurance: $100 (est)

total monthly payment for 03 cobra: 613.12

that doesn't include gas, maintenance, and the inevitable speeding ticket(s). idk about you, but straight out of high school i was making 9/hour and i wouldn't have ever dreamt of an 03 cobra on that budget. but whatever floats your boat :shrug:

Last edited:
Heck, my freind who is 26, is paying around $200 a month for full coverage on his 98 v6 stang. Clean record besides one ticket about 6 years ago. So, I would assume it would be more than $100/month for insurance for him

life isnt fair. I cant stand this crap any more! i wasted so much money on the contour for nothing n now its a complete waste. heck ill barley get anything for it cuz of all the millage on it.

life isnt fair. I cant stand this crap any more! i wasted so much money on the contour for nothing n now its a complete waste. heck ill barley get anything for it cuz of all the millage on it.

Welcome to modding cars.

Where do you come off as "life isnt fair" you drive an SVT at 16... that is a lot nicer car than most people your age.

It's obvious that you don't have the maturity yet to understand how the world works and how money works. Believe me, a year ago i thought the same thing (save up and then buy an 03 cobra and deal with car payments). You might not agree with me like most arrogant 16 year olds, but the truth is that you will NOT be able to afford a cobra at 16 or 17 nor will you have the maturity to drive it safely.

So, what did you waste your money on? And why isn't life fair? You are 16. I drove a freakin' Labaron when I was your age. Heck, the SVT is the best car I have ever owned and I didn't get it until I was 27. And you can always get more money out of the car by parting it out.

Emo post of the year!

Definitely do NOT get a loan until you have a full-time job and know your budget inside and out! I almost ran into a tricky time with my loan on the Maxima since I got it senior year of college. Even now, I'm hesitant to buy something new because I like the low monthly payment, insurance, etc .. and believe me I have the new-car bug!

As for your choices: The Lincoln LS will likely cost you as much in maintenance and repairs as the SVT. The Focus might be less but you'll be driving a smaller car. Either way, you're going to be spending THOUSANDS on a new car. Why not just put that money (or less) into your existing one and keep it a few more years till you have a real job?

lmao. i'll echo everyone else's comments with: you are 16 with a CSVT. i drove a 1994 Mercury Topaz when i was 16. and you know what? i enjoyed it because I realized i couldn't afford anything else on 7/hour. the whole "life isn't fair" whining is lame. you expect a cobra when you are 18? tough ****. i wanted a gt500 when i went car shopping. but i couldn't afford it (and still live comfortably), so i didn't get it. i didn't whine about life not being fair. I bought what i could afford and am happy with it.

kids and their sense of entitlement :rolleyes:

Last edited:
life isnt fair beacuase ive worked so hard on restoring the SVT becuase the previous owner abused the darn thing. and still after buying it for 800 dollars and dumping more then $8,000 into it and its still got plenty of problems.i mean it seems like every few days i get it back from the shop another couple hundred dollar part breaks and i got to replace it.

out of curiosity whats on the list of things that you replaced. $8000 seems like quite a lot (considering i fully rebuilt my engine and trans with performance parts AND built a turbo kit for less than $6K)

In no way am I trying to sound mean or trying to put you down, but honestly it seems like your just whining a little bit. I have had some ridiculous things happen to my car. I've just put the money into it because once I fix something, I know it's not going to happen again for a while and/or I might actually be able to fix it myself next time. And this is coming from a Zetec owner. It's not like I have this BA rubber-layer that is a blast to drive. I just love my car and want it to keep goin-n-goin like the Energizer bunny. If your dedicated and put your mind to it, you can get your car fixed for a lot less than you think. I think you need to be getting more of your info from CEG and not these mechanics that your bringing your car to. There's only two people in my area I would EVER bring my car to for repairs. One is a CEGer and another is a family friend mechanic who charges outrageous prices. I now try to avoid having to bring it to my mechanic...Good luck with whatever you do man...

ok a few things are. Clutch,starter,grille,headlights,front bumper,rear bumper,side skirts,spoiler,cooling fans,radiator,rear trailing arms, front and rear grilles,short throw shifter,trainsmison mounts,motor mounts,all new interiro lock asemblies, miscilaneos interiror trim pecies,wheels,tires,cahnged all fluids severla times,overflow bottle,wiper blades,coil pack,spark plugs,windsheild, reapinted hood and all of the "svt" kit and grille,all of the power stearing componets,o2 sensors, + a ton of other stuff that i cant think of at the moment

Last edited:
ok a few things are. Clutch,starter,grille,headlights,front bumper,rear bumper,side skirts,spoiler,cooling fans,radiator,rear trailing arms, front and rear grilles,short throw shifter,trainsmison mounts,motor mounts,all new interiro lock asemblies, miscilaneos interiror trim pecies,wheels,tires,cahnged all fluids severla times,overflow bottle,wiper blades,coil pack,spark plugs,windsheild, reapinted hood and all of the "svt" kit and grille, + a ton of other stuff that i cant think of at the moment

so do you like lemonade or something?

of that whole list the only things i would have taken it to somebody for is the clutch and paint (actually in my case just the paint but i have the knowledge and tools for the clutch). everything else can be done at home with basic tools. also im sure there is a CEGer in your area that would be willing to come over and help with repairs/mainanence.

do you have a price breakdown of what you paid for everything and what things you did yourself instead of taking to a mechanic?

well some of that list is just mantinence items ...

sounds like you made a poor choice of vehicle to purchase. No offence but its your own choice that got you here by buying a CSVT that needs that much work.

and I agree with everyone else. I really wanted a Contour like my fathers when i started driving but I got a 92 tempo with an auto ... but it was my car and now I have what I want ....

Not to jump on the bashwagon, especially since I know you, but it sounds like you should have done all the mechanical repairs first before spending a lot of money on aesthetics and frivolous mods. Especially living paycheck to paycheck...

That said, if you decide to bring it back to stock before getting rid of it, hit me up :cool:

Not trying to be a jerk, but when you buy a car for $800, you really should expect that it has been abused, BADLY! Did you know before hand what all was wrong with it? How long have you driven it?

Back