• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What type of duratec

GeorgeSVT

CEG'er
i just ordered an 03 taurus engine for my 98 SVT ford contour and it just got here but there's a big huge buldge on the timing cover that my other engine didnt have and it looks like it wont fit. what type of engine will fit? i really need help.

i just ordered an 03 taurus engine for my 98 SVT ford contour and it just got here but there's a big huge buldge on the timing cover that my other engine didnt have and it looks like it wont fit. what type of engine will fit? i really need help.

Time to start searching the 3L section....
I havent done a swap before but I think you use your 2.5 timing cover

you sound so demanding... Ive done over 12 3L swaps... if you ask nice Ill tell you.

lol. im really sorry. im stressed out of my mind right now. i have no vehicle. my rents over due. trying to get this job. i got in an accident and the other guys insurance isnt talking to me to get my car fixed. im about broke. lol. im sorry about that. can u please help me

the timing cover that comes on the 3L engine needs to be removed and the 2.5L timing cover needs to replace it.

I also imagine that with the intake on you havent noticed that there isnt a motor mount between the heads.... You need to remove the one from the 2.5L and grind it down and then fit it through the 3L heads and bolt it down.

Caution! Early 98 contours came with fatter 13mm bolts that dont work on the new 3L you must use a mount that came with 10mm skinny bolts.

you also know that the alternator bracket wont fit on the block without cutting a couple tabs or "ears" off of the 3L engine....

Once you remove the timing cover from the 3L you will see a pulse wheel on the crank.... it has 2 slots... remove it from the slot and put it on the other slot....

awesome. thank you very much. there's nothing else i should know?

While you probably won't, I'd suggest you send that 3L back and get a 2.5L to drop in there if you have money issues. It will be cheaper and easier for you to get a 2.5L in there so you can deal with your other stuff.

While you probably won't, I'd suggest you send that 3L back and get a 2.5L to drop in there if you have money issues. It will be cheaper and easier for you to get a 2.5L in there so you can deal with your other stuff.

I assume the OP has an SVT. I couldn't imagine wanting to swap in a motor will LESS power than stock. That would absolutely KILL any resale value. I for one would NEVER buy an SVT with a SE motor.

you wont notice the tiny difference in power if you swap over the SVT cams/injectors/manifolds/TB anyways. the CR only went up by .3, which just isnt enough to worry about.

I assume the OP has an SVT. I couldn't imagine wanting to swap in a motor will LESS power than stock. That would absolutely KILL any resale value. I for one would NEVER buy an SVT with a SE motor.

Sounds like he needs a running car and money to spend on other stuff. Car is worth next to nothing with a blown motor so even if it was a stock 2.5L in there that's better than nothing.

tell that to a number of people the have purchased an SVT that previous had a blown motor and it was replaced with a standard 2.5L engine and they had no idea. most wouldn't if they didn't know what to look for or had never driven one before.

but i would agree, a direct swap is going to be the quickest and easiest thing to do, as well as be the cheapest option.

tell that to a number of people the have purchased an SVT that previous had a blown motor and it was replaced with a standard 2.5L engine and they had no idea. most wouldn't if they didn't know what to look for or had never driven one before.

but i would agree, a direct swap is going to be the quickest and easiest thing to do, as well as be the cheapest option.

I've heard those stories before too and I feel for those people. To me the whole point of an SVT is having an HO motor. Be it the stock 2.5, or 3L. If (when) I blow the motor in my Lightning, I wouldn't replace it with a N/A block.

I've heard those stories before too and I feel for those people. To me the whole point of an SVT is having an HO motor. Be it the stock 2.5, or 3L. If (when) I blow the motor in my Lightning, I wouldn't replace it with a N/A block.

Did you read this post: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?64408-What-type-of-duratec&p=891607#post891607

To some people having a working car and a place to live is better than having a car with a special motor and no place to live. lol

3L to 3L is still going to be the same amount of work only he has a template to go off of now.

Back