• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

what sort of maintenance ?

MadDog

Veteran CEG'er
So my 2000 SVT has 203K miles. The car runs great (there are no signs of any problems as far as I can tell), but is there something I should be doing for preventative maintenance on the engine and transmission ?

Engine: compression check, clean UIM, ????
transmission: ????

The car get the routine checks ups, oil changes, etc at the dealer, but I would like to know what else I can do.

thanks,

Mad Dog

Fluid changes. Trans, oil, coolant, brake and ps fluid. Change your fuel filter and your cabin air filter. Cleaning the UIM is a good idea, I need to get on that.

My cars got 175k on it. After a trans fluid change it shifts SO much better. Check condition of the waterpump and belt.

The belts, filters and fluid changes should all already be taken care of from the dealer maintenance (in theory). I ought to have them send me all the repair and maint. logs over the 12 years I have been going there, just so I can check.

The waterpump and alternator failed last year, so thats new. Fuel pump was replaced 5-6 years ago.

I honestly cant detect any problems in the engine (other than the missing IMRC rod) or transmission - yet. But, after 203K miles, its time for preventative maintenance.

thanks,

Mad Dog

According to the Ford manual, when removing the UIM, you need to replace the old gaskets with a new ones. So, assuming the part# are still the same, are there any preference to using Corteco #23958 vs. FelPro #95726 ? SHould I also replace the TB gasket while I am there (FelPro 61006 or 61075 ?) ? Anything else I should do when I have it torn down (other than cleaning) ?

My UIM and LIM must be filthy beyond belief - I am getting 24-25 MPG and thats without the secondary intakes working....

thanks,

Mad Dog (2000 CSTV)

Last edited:
Back