• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What is out ther now that is comparable to the Contique?

loggerbomb

Hard-core CEG'er
I think there was a thread similar to this, but didn't make too much headway. I am just curious as to what is out there that is newer say 2004 and up - that is similar in traits with the Contour/Mystique. That being: good handling, good fuel economy, bit of a sleeper, etc, etc.

We were lucky enough not to lose it in the UK, we've just moved up to the 4th incarnation of the Mondy and all reports suggest that it has even got the likes of BMW worried by its spec, build and dynamics. I thought you got the Fusion which seems to look a lot like our Mk3 Mondeos? Try and get on to the UK Ford web site and check it out

Last edited:
We did get the fusion however its a good 6+ inches bigger than the contour in most every dimension. we cant get a v6 awd MTX either:shrug:

^^^ the five hundred/taurus is way to big and cumbersome to even be close to compairing with a contour. the mazda 3/6 is definately the best choice to replace the contour. everything else i have have driven just lacks the fun factor my contour.

Lobby '' Uncle Henry'' to get you this:-

getImage.asp

Jaguar X-type, with MTX,3.0:cool: and sometimes, AWD.It's a relative (shared platform) of the Mondeo. Anyone ever drive one compared to their Tour?

Last edited:
The Focus is technically the Contour replacement in the US. I rode in one once and it was almost identical in feel, especially the engine.

Alas Ford will not give anyone a v6 manual.

^^^ the five hundred/taurus is way to big and cumbersome to even be close to compairing with a contour. the mazda 3/6 is definately the best choice to replace the contour. everything else i have have driven just lacks the fun factor my contour.

While they're not in the same class as the Contour, the Taurus, with 263 horse, now has the potential to be a sports sedan. It's a big car, but easy to work with. Firmer sway bars would make it a very capable handler, though its sheer size and higher C of G would require more effort at the wheel than the smaller Contour in high speed corners even if the skidpad numbers were the same. That all said, I believe it could be very satisfying.

However, if I were buying new, I'd wait for the next generation of the Taurus. That will likely be a showstopper. Ford's Mullaly is serious about being the best. I'm not going to hold my breath on a new SHO, but I'd sure love to see one. :cool:

I would put the Fusion out there and if you get the 3D Carbon bodykit (which can be ordered throught the dealer), some 18' 5 spoke wheels, and some Eibach springs, I guess you could have what would look like a Fusion SVT. Grabbing the engine components from an MKZ wouldn't be a bad idea either... While I'm wishing for things, let's mate a nice manual transmission to it as well.

Last edited:
For non ford definitly a Altima ser, I totaly underestimated one at the track one night and boy those things scoot.

The Falcon and whatnot would never sell here.

Look at the GTO.

People want a G35 car from ford. something stylish, sleek, sexy, with good options, good power, and good build quality.

Who wants a fusion if you cant option it out to have manual with a V6...

Who wants a fusion if you cant option it out to have manual with a V6...
lol ... and exactly how big is the demographic percentage that want to get a manual-transmission Fusion to begin with? In terms of driving excitement, there are many other vehicles I'd pick before it even if it were offered with a manual V6.

To compare with a Contour, I'd say BMW 3-series. It was then and it remains now, although obviously with more features and higher cost.

Other than that, I'd say the Mazda6s comes closest in terms of styling, engine and drivability, although it is certainly bigger and has a bit more body roll in the curves. I say 6S, not Speed6, because of the Duratec V6, FWD and general characteristics.

As for the Falcon ... :drool: ... its styling combines pretty much everything I like about Ford, Subaru, BMW and Pontiac.

Last edited:
Mazdaspeed 6. Non "car people" can't distinguish it from a run of the mill Mazda 6. And they can be made quick fairly easily.....reflash, full exhaust, fmic, etc.

Back