• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What I hate about mechanics

Wow this thread is starting to get old... Things seem to repeat every page. Here's the point:

1. There are honest and non honest mechanics.

2. Prices are charged by book rate whether time goes over or under(for the most part).

3. Preventive maintenance will save you a lot of $$$$ in the future.

4. And most of all if you don't like the price AFTER you get another quote or two, DO IT YOURSELF AND STOP COMPLAINING! That money you pay for labor is also making it so you don't have to do it yourself. So choose whichever you want.

LOL...... anyone knowing what you have been going through can appreciate YOU saying this.........:laugh:

You'd be amazed...snip...BTW, does anyone else still have the original factory battery in their car? On all my other cars I've had to change the batteries usually every 3-4 years, but the Mystique cranks fast even on the coldest days with that old Motorcraft battery. I figure I got a good one, and I won't get that lucky again, so I'm not replacing it until I have to. To me, it's the one exception to my normal rule of replacing parts before they wear out. I do take it out of the car about once a year and wash it really well, clean and regrease the terminals, so I'm sure this helps.

You're right, you've got a good one--hang onto it. My original battery in the 1998 SE lasted until Spring 2004 and well over 120,000 miles. It was over six years old at the time. It had survived Midwest weather the first four years, then scorching Sonoran Desert heat the next two years. It's the desert heat that really killed the Motorcraft battery off. If I had remained in the Midwest the entire time, it would have made it longer in all likelihood. Maybe the lens assemblies wouldn't have clouded so much if I had stayed in the Midwest the whole time, too. Yeah, your desert cars are rust free generally, but dealing with those temps and packrats is a whole other thing. Glad to be back in the Midwest.

How about headlight bulbs? I replaced my original passenger side low beam for the first time ever in the 1998 SE in December 2006 and over 150,000 miles. I just replaced the original driver side low beam in the SE for the first time ever two weeks ago with over 168,000 miles. I drive with my low beams on day and night, because the car apparently turns invisible to some boneheads out on the road. I paid the extra $500 when I ordered the SE for optional four wheel ABS, but I don't like having to really use it.

LOL...... anyone knowing what you have been going through can appreciate YOU saying this.........:laugh:

Haha. Yes, I chose to do it myself since I have the time to do it. With all the labor money I am saving I have been able to get a whole bunch of other parts to fix and replace while I have her apart.

Back