• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Well I found my new setup

BurritaSVT

Veteran CEG'er
After alot of research I decided to upgrade my setup more. I ready to push it to the limits of pump gas.

I am going to purchase two items which will give me the beast I want.

I am buying a Turbo Xs DTEC boost controller and a game boy sp and will install it in my car. I will have full adjustable boost levels even gearing and rpms. I will also have a knock sensor light which will help me see detonation since the car is so loud under the hood. And the knock sensor is adjustable so it can learn the engine normal noise background. This peice will be give me the straight line performance from a standstill.

http://www.modernperformance.com/all/turboxs_boost_controllers_DTEC.shtml
And at the same time I will install my larger turbo 60-1 Hi Fi using the TO4E housing but pushing 10 percent more air then the garret 60-1 and still using smaller housing. I will do the .82 AR turbine housing with a stage 3 or 5 wheel not sure yet. But the turbo is good for 520whp so we will see soon.

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/turbo_60series.htm

Any advice will be taken because this will set me back 1300 dollars and I hate to do it three times........lol

Oh and I will seperate the gameboy monitor and mount it in the cupholder area with a custom bezel and I will extend the wiring to mount the control panel in the glove box and I will have a DC to AC converter installed to....

will be nice.......

Wow... I wish I had more to say but I believe thats about it for now. Its good to see you pushing the edges out even further.

60-1 from turbonetics is a solid turbo. I have a 62-1 to go in my car that i picked up dirt cheap. the 60-1 is pretty good, but not totally sure if it will really support 520 whp. It might, Check the the compressor map and figure out ur flow and make sure it will be in the max efficiancy range.

Robert

After alot of research I decided to upgrade my setup more. I ready to push it to the limits of pump gas.

I am going to purchase two items which will give me the beast I want.

I am buying a Turbo Xs DTEC boost controller and a game boy sp and will install it in my car. I will have full adjustable boost levels even gearing and rpms. I will also have a knock sensor light which will help me see detonation since the car is so loud under the hood. And the knock sensor is adjustable so it can learn the engine normal noise background. This peice will be give me the straight line performance from a standstill.

http://www.modernperformance.com/all/turboxs_boost_controllers_DTEC.shtml
And at the same time I will install my larger turbo 60-1 Hi Fi using the TO4E housing but pushing 10 percent more air then the garret 60-1 and still using smaller housing. I will do the .82 AR turbine housing with a stage 3 or 5 wheel not sure yet. But the turbo is good for 520whp so we will see soon.

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/turbo_60series.htm

Any advice will be taken because this will set me back 1300 dollars and I hate to do it three times........lol

Oh and I will seperate the gameboy monitor and mount it in the cupholder area with a custom bezel and I will extend the wiring to mount the control panel in the glove box and I will have a DC to AC converter installed to....

will be nice.......

Are you sure its wise to keep the same compressor housing with that wheel?
Maybe it is I'm just not sure. I thought the 60-1 wheel was used in a TO4b housing, but I could be wrong.
Well anyway it sounds like a really good plan. :cool: Love the new boost controller! Finally someone will spend the $ it takes to make max power per gear to minimize wheelspin. You'll probably have to put the soft spring back in the wastegate though to have a hope of boosting in first gear.

Correct Tom. A Hi Fi is a TO4B. Quoted from your link '(The 60-1 HI-FI will deliver approximately 90-95% of the flow capacity of the standard 60-1.)' You won't out flow it by 10%, your short of it by 10%. It is still a great pick for your application. I considered it but went to a 60-1 TO4S, which is about 61lbs per minute and good for over 600.

Then reading more about it the guy told me it will do 60 lb/min which I found another site that said it will do only 57 lb/min whic makes sense being 90 percent of a 60-1 turbo.

And someone mentioned that is it in it's efficency range. I really want the turbo to easily support my expectations I don't want max which will be hotter air than a larger turbo. Since the weather is really hot down here in the summer and humid the less heat the better off my motor will be in it's conditions.

See I can't really get anyone to tell me what a TO4E housing will flow efficiently without creating alot of heat. But If I had to guess I think even stuffing these larger wheel in the housing might be able to pump the air out but will do it at a higher temp due to the smaller area in the compressor housing

My buddy has a gt35r on his trailblazer I may get him to come by here so I can do measurements because I am really considering chopping up my kit like the downpipe and somehow trying to make it have a 3" down pipe only If I can get the trubo for 800 bucks on ebay which has happened. It will do an easy 65 lb/min or I can order the blowzilla turbo and see if it can have 2.5 inch downpipe but I know it has the same wheel so I think the turbine has to be a 3 inch outlet.

I hate not knowing my turbos I have been reading up alot on the different ones and trying to avoid the kit modification which would be the third time. But this time I will do the kit modifying myself since ADC set me back 1200 buck to upgrade the kit.

Turbonetics seems to have some really nice turbos and really seem to push more air than garrett ones so maybe I will call turbonetics direct to find out what the best one to do. Guys thanks for the info but decisions are a ****** when trying to figure out the easiest way.

But the turbo is now iffy again but not the boost controller it is a must.

A t04E is a larger housing than a t04b. The E moves less air because air moves through it easier maxing the wheel out sooner; as long as you remain in the efficiency range of the wheel, it should generate less heat (although this is arguable).

A gt35 may suit your purposes rather well, provided you get the right gt35; I'd suggest a gt35 76mm, 52 trim, .50 a/r in terms of the gt35's. the gt35 71mm, 52 trim, .50 a/r would limit you to ~6,000 rpm redline, and the gt35 68mm, 56 trim, .70 a/r will be in surge under ~4,000 rpm (which may not be a factor depending on turbine side and whether you try to spool it before or after that point).

Another option could be a gt37 76mm or 82mm, 52 trim, .54 a/r. With the proper turbines either will run smoothly to 20+ psi and 7,000rpm, and be beyond surge at any reasonable spool rpm.

Yet another option, and a lower cost option, would be to look to the "T" series turbos; specifically look at a T61. With probably a .82 a/r "p" trim turbine (kinda guestimating, I don't have the turbine map in front of me) and an adequate wastegate to vent up high, you should be able to get full spool about 3,500rpm and support in excess of 30 psi all the way to 7,000rpm. (you'd be able to clear 600hp.)

Last edited:
A t04E is a larger housing than a t04b. The E moves less air because air moves through it easier maxing the wheel out sooner; as long as you remain in the efficiency range of the wheel, it should generate less heat (although this is arguable).

Other than the cost associated with them, the GT series compressor wheels are the way to go.
My ultimate goal for the Cougar is a GT40R, but it's going to take me a year of saving in order to afford one ... used no less!

My ultimate goal for the Cougar is a GT40R, but it's going to take me a year of saving in order to afford one ... used no less!

I hope you are putting a small block in the cougar, cause gee wiz, you will be able to support ~30 psi, but surging under 4,500 rpm. (of course that would make for a fun ride)

When i ran the numbers and started looking at the compressor maps from turbonetics, i found the 60-1 will support 15 psi and 10 psi without being on the surge line and being in the efficiancy range. But when the oppurtunity came up for this 62-1 i got, i re-ran the numbers and found that it worked just a little better, which is fine with me, it flows slightly more than the 60-1. And with the stage 3 wheel on the hot side, it should give me some time to catch a little traction in the low end.

Good luck,
Robert

Man that woudl be a ride. Who needs quick spool up anyway? There is no traction down low so why bother. It's kinda a hard decision. If you want BIG numbers you gotta get a big turbo with slower spool time. If you want a QUICK car then you have to get smaller turbo, but then be limited in the amount of air it will move. I guess it all depends on what you ultimatly want from the car.

A T61 is what I would recommend for the big power 3L engines. It just matches up well with the rpm range and the onset of boost on the 3L engine and of course will hold that flow till redline. Not only that, it will be in its most efficient range as it climbs. I have some maps where I can plot the curve and it looks really nice. A GT35 also looks really good so it boils down to money again...

well I want the 62-1 after talking to the guy at turbonetics since it will support over 500whp but the big problem is the 4 inch inlet. If anyone saw first hand what room is left between the compressor housing and the shifft tower ZERO...... So if I can do a 90 degree 4" silcone hose into a 4" pipe then back to a MAF adaptor. Does not leave much room for routing. And remember you don't want to choke it off by reducing the ID just to route the piping smoothly to the fender well. But I think it can be modified and done too. I really think I am trying to avoid the downpipe being cut and changed to the 3 inch which I can stay with the 62-1 to keep it easier. I will do some checking on the t61 if the turbine housing is still 2.5 diameter.

Praise Allah...

Man I've only been saying someone needs to buy one of these for a year.

well I want the 62-1 after talking to the guy at turbonetics since it will support over 500whp but the big problem is the 4 inch inlet. If anyone saw first hand what room is left between the compressor housing and the shifft tower ZERO...... So if I can do a 90 degree 4" silcone hose into a 4" pipe then back to a MAF adaptor. Does not leave much room for routing. And remember you don't want to choke it off by reducing the ID just to route the piping smoothly to the fender well. But I think it can be modified and done too. I really think I am trying to avoid the downpipe being cut and changed to the 3 inch which I can stay with the 62-1 to keep it easier. I will do some checking on the t61 if the turbine housing is still 2.5 diameter.

moving the kind of air you are going to be moving, I'd recommend at least a 3" downpipe no matter what just to keep back pressure down and turbine efficiency up.

as for the t61, it will still have the 4" compressor inlet, like the 62-1. As for the turbine outlet, that will all depend on what housing is used, as I am sure you already know.

Back