• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

waterpump issue?

BrApple

No Life But CEG
not sure if I have a water pump issue or not. just some observations from over the years.

I have noticed as the years have gone on my temp guage is starting to read higher. when I got the car in 2K I recall it reading right around R in normal. in the last two years it has moved more towards the high side of M, even now in the winter. actually I am noting better gas mileage now then over the summer, but I have been doing alot more highway miles lately so I can dismiss that.

the other thing I have noted the last few winters is from time to time while accelerating I get a puff, or a short increase in the heat from the hvac. I would like to tend to call it random when it happens.

lastly it doesn't seem there is much of any flow through the overflow tank. I added water wetter awhile back and it doesn't seem to have mixed in at all, it just sits in the tank. Also I noted that it doesn't heat up that much. on my other cars I have noted the tank is more liek 140 degrees or more after driving the car. this one hardly gets to 100.

I have flushed the coolant twice over the years. once was when I had to replace the radiator and I flushed it last year iirc.

I have never had the car overheat and the cooling fans work correctly, even with the harness cracking alot.

car runs fine at 208k so I am not to worried about it but I am wondering. if it needs to be done then I will do it and also change the timing belt at the same time since its been 100k. :censored::censored::censored::censored: might as well change the clutch and get that oil pan gasket replaced and get many more miles out of the car. would still be way cheaper then a new car.

I did run a compression check a few months ago and the numbers where even, possible low but even.

I haven't heard of a zetec water pump failing and that just doesnt sound like it to me, personally. There are a few easier things to do in the cooling system first. Especially if you have a garage.

clean out the radiator- remove it turn it upside down and run water threw it under low pressure. If you have the manual on cd it is explains it.

maybe change the thermostat, it could be sticking or not opening fully.

You may have one of those over sensitive themp sensors or maybe its just dying or going out of spec.

Lastly, a system flush. Maybe something is gunked up. :shrug:

I flushed the system not to long ago. the radiator is 6 years old and I got flow through the whole system. I check the thermostat when i did the flush and it worked fine. I have taken a thermometer to the upper radiator hose and that is at the correct temp confirming that the thermostat is openning.

For your coolant tank mixing. try checking the little hose that goes from the thermostat housing across the engine into the tank. Maybe it is blocked or something of that nature.

I would think that your accessory belt would be howling and sqweeling up a storm if you water pump was going out. since it a just the impeller, shaft, pulley and bearing. It would be the bearing that would to die and the slow down the pump. :shrug:

well being a 95 it could have suffered a failure similar to the duratecs. that or maybe the impellor is slipping from time to time on the shaft as that might explain the bursts of heat. that is if it isn't from a change in voltage from taking off from a stop.

i would guess it is not from a voltage change. Although i have a new bosch alternator, i have never seen a voltage increase or decrease between stopped and moving.

i would guess it is not from a voltage change. Although i have a new bosch alternator, i have never seen a voltage increase or decrease between stopped and moving.

that is because you have an atx. le tthe clutch out alittle fast and/or not give it enough rpm and you can near stall the motor, which in turn slowes the accessory belt and therefore the alternator, dropping the voltage.

anyway I seem to notice the increase, or burst of heat after taking off from a stop when I am shifting.

Back