• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Water Pump Woes Continued

Bill1

New CEG'er
Just lettin ya'll know I ordered the torque to yield bolts from the dealer today. $2.25 ea. They won't arrive till Tuesday. Makes sense to me. If the bolts get stretchy after being tensioned repeatedly the constant heating and cooling off of the motor may stretch them and cause the pump to leak from the gasket. I'll let you know if they stop the leak after I install them.

I SO Retarded

I SO Retarded

I am the REAL retard. Yesterday I twisted a water pump bolt off in the block. Now I'm really screwed. The break is flush with the block and the bolt is bottomed out tight. It's a pretty small bolt, head is only 8mm. Now what? I'm calling the Mercury dealer in the morning to see if they will try and tackle this. I'm beyond frustrated, getting depressed. I'll pay $ to get the sucker out without damaging the block. Any idears?

I've gotten myself in some pretty crazy stressful situations but what helped me was a book that had in big friendly letters on the cover, the words:

d o n ' t p a n i c

:)

Everything will work out. I've read about this happening to people before and there are solutions -- I have none to offer authoritatively myself, but in addition to what Tony2005 suggested, there have been similar issues addressed in the old forums.

It's fixed. Got it to the dealer Monday, just got it back. They used a helicoil made for aluminum. New hoses and a radiator flush too, $500.00. Live and learn. I AM NOT A MECHANIC!

Back