• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Water pump tensioner

cclngthr

CEG'er
Was needing confirmation on this, on the 2.5 V6, the water pump belt tensioner; is it fairly easy to move it with your hands to put the belt on/off? It is smaller, yes, but I think mine has a weak spring. I don't think it should move with your bare hands. I don't get any squeal with the new belt, but did with the old belt when it upshifted under a WOT condition (where the rpms are up to 6,000 rpm and as it shifts and the rpms drop, it squeals.

I am used to the tensioner on the main serpentine belts where it is very stiff.

OK, is yours new or old? I'm not accustomed to a tensioner I can remove the belt with my fingers. I may end up replacing it anyway because the stethoscope check shows a slight grind in the bearing, but will get a second opinion on that.

It shouldn't be hard to move at all. If you don't want to bother with the tensioner get a stretch to fit belt from a later model 3L. This belt is shorter and will bypass the tensioner.

It shouldn't be hard to move at all. If you don't want to bother with the tensioner get a stretch to fit belt from a later model 3L. This belt is shorter and will bypass the tensioner.

Thanks, just wanted confirmation whether it is normal for it to be moved by hand without tools. Looks like it is.

Back