• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

water pump replaced

evilm0nk3y

CEG'er
from my original thread: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?p=70082

I just got my car back from the shop, it was definitely the water pump that was bad. So $700 later... water pump is replaced, new timing belt, timing kit cam tensioners, and cam idler ... The shop said that theres a problem with the tensioner on the serp belt that I had just replaced 6 months ago? Because its making a weird rubbing noise i believe when idling or accelerating. Now, once and a while my car would just die while in drive stopped at a light, but now its doing it very often after they just did this work. Could it have been something they did? Also when im in park and i hold on the accelerator the engine bucks, i dont believe that this used to do this before, but just recently... ok im done.. Your guys thoughts?

Does the engine "buck" at about the same RPM, every time while in Park?

There is a PARK rev limiter that won't allow the car to rev above a preset RPM while parked.

i dont know the RPMs but i believe thats what it might be, it sounds like its keeping itself from going any faster

Well, then check if the tensioner needs to be replaced. Instructions in previous thread (Autozone link).

the shop told me that it does, i was just confirming if they arent just nickel and diming me.. cause i just paid $700

ah.. but it wasnt doing it before, only after they worked on my car?
ROTFL. :laugh: The tensioner "broke" after they worked on the car. Coincidence. These things do happen. How many miles on the tensioner?

haha, oh i wish it was that easy, now even after the water pump was replaced, they said the temp gauge in the car isnt right, it was reading around the L, when in fact that the car was only around 200 degrees, and the fan kicked on around 225, is that normal?

edit: the engine DOES run cooler now with the new water pump, with the hood open i put my hands over the engine and its not burning hot, and i can NOW touch the oil dipstick cover and oil cap and its cool to the touch

Last edited:
..the fan kicked on around 225, is that normal?
The low speed should come on at 212 and high speed at 218 but Zetecs have been known to run a little hotter. And we really don't know how accurate the thermometer used, was.

i replaced the thermostat around 6 months ago thinking it was the problem, i believe it was the lower one? so 185?

i replaced the thermostat around 6 months ago thinking it was the problem, i believe it was the lower one? so 185?
I posted about the thermometer used to get the coolant temperature, not what thermostat it was.

Having a lower temperature thermostat should not have any bearing on the final engine/coolant temperature. It just means that the thermostat opens fully quicker. Eventually, the engine/coolant will reach normal operating temperature.

is that the ECT? if so, sorry, im very new to working on cars :p im a computer tech and im trying to learn how to fix cars as well

Back