• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Water Pump removal

CollinsPC

Veteran CEG'er
Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the hose off the water pump for removal? How the heck do you get to the hose clamp to remove the water pump hose?

you have to move the power steering pump out of the way. then you should be able to get to it (its still a bit of a fight) with a pair of vice grips, so they lock, or locking hose clamp pliers.

you have to move the power steering pump out of the way. then you should be able to get to it (its still a bit of a fight) with a pair of vice grips, so they lock, or locking hose clamp pliers.

It's cake with the hose clamp pliers. There are 4 bolts that are behind the PS pulley that hold in the pump. You need to turn the pulley and use the access holes to get to the bolts, then you can just slide it off to the side and put it where the coolant tank was, which I recommend removing for more room.

Locking hose clamp pliers:
hose_clamp_pliers.jpg

Thank you for the replies, I was thinking I would need to remove the PS pump.

All 4 bolts are threw the pulley? Are there any from the back side?

I'm pretty sure there are none from the back side, because if you think about it, the bracket is between the pulley and pump, so why would a bolt be in the back? :cool:

There are a couple 10mm bolts on the back but I believe those can be left as they bolt to something else. Feel free to correct me on this, though.

I'm pretty sure there are none from the back side, because if you think about it, the bracket is between the pulley and pump, so why would a bolt be in the back? :cool:

There are a couple 10mm bolts on the back but I believe those can be left as they bolt to something else. Feel free to correct me on this, though.

After I tear it out along with some more of my skin, I will correct you if you need to be corrected :laugh:. This is one pain in the ass job!!!!! would have been faster and easier to finish the Contour!!!!!!!!

After I tear it out along with some more of my skin, I will correct you if you need to be corrected :laugh:. This is one pain in the ass job!!!!! would have been faster and easier to finish the Contour!!!!!!!!

You shouldn't be tearing out skin! That means you're working too hard or making things too difficult for yourself :laugh:. It really isn't a bad job. Hardest part is probably moving the PS pump. An impact gun is totally your best friend.

Hell I have half the motor apart to get to the water pump. On the plus side I will be able to powder coat the valve cover in Ford wrinkle Race Blue:laugh:

Just finished putting the Mystake back together! need to snow blow behind the garage in the morning to get it out and run it to see if it works.:crazy:

Well drove it to work today with no overheating. Did creep up to the m in normal in heavy traffic. I don't think the fans came on, so i need to look at that issue now.

Back