• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Walmart synthetic oil?

It's good oil. It is better than the run of the mill dino oil. It is probably as good as most group III synthetics (Castrol, Valvoline), but probably falls short of Mobil 1 or Amsoil. It's a great value for what it is.

It's good oil. It is better than the run of the mill dino oil. It is probably as good as most group III synthetics (Castrol, Valvoline), but probably falls short of Mobil 1 or Amsoil. It's a great value for what it is.

no kidding. That stuff is as cheap as paris hilton in a hotel room around here. I might have to switch over to it. With the price of amsoil going up here, now it is more expensive than mobil 1. Used to be almost the same price. Oh well. And good thing I can say that I live in an "extream" temp climate...so I was right about that one LOL!!!

Better go back and get yourself another qt if you have the 2.5ltr. It takes 5.8 qts with filter change.

I switched to ST synthetic last summer on the wife's daily driver.

Unfortunately, those old rumors about synthetic causing leaks might have a grain of truth to them. I suppose it could have been a coincidence, but the OPG started leaking within 2K miles. I ran the oil out to the scheduled change interval (with the wife *****in about the oil smoke smell the whole time), then replaced the OPG and refilled with more of the ST synthetic. No leaks, now...

I guess the superior cleaning action of the synthetic cleaned out some of the sludge that was the last barrier for the gasket. Once cleaned, the gasket leaked like a sieve.

That was around 135-140K miles. Still running strong (90 miles a day round trip for her). Now up to around 155K.

Steve

So I post this question? I have run Mobil Synthetic blend for about two years now, would it be a problem for me to switch to the likes of the Walmart brand? I am getting tired of paying $42 for an oil change every 4,000 miles.
I do burn about a quart of oil per change and I am wondering if switching to dino oil would prove to be better?? I do not change my own oil due to angle of driveway and it is crushed stone!!!

My dad used to use Castrol, I've used Motorcraft Synthetic Blend for about 30k just because its been cheaper. Lately it seems like Pennzoil has been cheapest. I really don't think it makes too much difference what you run. I change mine every 3k in the winter or 4k in the summer if it gets mostly highway miles... Most of the time I just change it at 3k. The car now has 106k and doesn't burn any oil...

Target has Shell brand oil for around $1.72/quart... Seems like a decent price to me. I would assume its decent oil... Probably similar to the Pennzoil dino...

So the place I got my car from said they do oil changes on my car with a "synthetic blend"
Would this be better for my car than full synthetic? Or at the next change should I go for the full synthetic? :shrug:

Synthetic blend is regular dino oil and full synthetic blended together. Its good stuff, just not as good as full synthetic. I use Mobile 1 Extended Performance, since its guareenteed to last for 15,000 miles, and I love it. $6/quart at Wal-Mart, or have Wal-Mart change it and add a long life Fram filter for $49.95.
Nathan

Motorcraft 5/20 and 5/30 is synthetic blend. It is made by Coneco / Phillips. The other Coneco / Phillips are the same or nearly the same. Those are TropArtic, Union 76, and Kendall. All are a good value, with TropArtic sometimes found at Dollar stores for, as you might guess, $1.00 a quart. Motorcraft is available at Wal Mart at very competitive prices for a synthetic blend.

i wouldnt recommend switching from syn back to normal oil, that could have some bad effects, and i dont see why you guys buy good ass oil and change it every 3,000-4,000 miles , when you could go a hell of alot longer its a waist of money

What?!!!!!:help: :help: :help:

LOL That price was for 6 quarts of Mobile 1 EP 5W30 and a 10,000 mile "Extended Life" Fram oil filter (Filter costs $10, Oil is $5.75/quart). I have them do it during the winter since it was too cold to do it myself, but I change it myself during the summer. :)
Nathan

Back