• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Vote for local SZ

Oh you guys just need to suck it up and take the road trip if MN wins. It's not that far, besides look at the trip Barge takes every year :rolleyes:

That's ok, I'll pass on that long trip with my 12-14 mpg on the highway.

I'm not suggesting in any way that having Spring Zing in PA does not have it's merits. Just perhaps I would be a bit envious after having Cougarfest and Ford All National's in your backyard for 2010 you guys win Spring Zing for 2011 :D

See...on a Contour forum...we don't decide what the Cougar group does...and it's a very ironic event that Carlisle All Ford Nationals is in Carlisle. We don't choose these things, but we can choose SZ.

See...on a Contour forum...we don't decide what the Cougar group does...and it's a very ironic event that Carlisle All Ford Nationals is in Carlisle. We don't choose these things, but we can choose SZ.

That was what I was going to say also.

and if there was so much interest from the MN guys in Cougarfest or Carlisle this year then why didn't any of you made the drive out to those events this year?

lets face it, most people are not willing to travel to far from home, with exceptions of course.

Some people found WI to be too far and it showed this year.
We made the best of it, but a lot of things didn't pan out because we didn't have the adequate numbers to make things work.
MN is even further for those people.

Judging by the responses against MN, it seems that the only people that will be attending are MN folks (with a slight sprinkling from one or two neighboring states).
That's hardly a SZ. That's a regional meet.

When I went to the Michigan meet I thought that was a good turnout. Was that the biggest turnout of Sz's

When I went to the Michigan meet I thought that was a good turnout. Was that the biggest turnout of Sz's

I believe 2002 (maybe 2001) had the biggest turnout (both were in the same location as 2009)
2009 was the most cohesive I've ever seen the group function.
Sorta brought a tear to the eye. ;)

Judging by the responses against MN, it seems that the only people that will be attending are MN folks (with a slight sprinkling from one or two neighboring states).

Thats the same feeling I have, sure lots of people seem to be interested but I dont think they will draw much of a crowd from outside of their area.

Some people found WI to be too far and it showed this year.
We made the best of it, but a lot of things didn't pan out because we didn't have the adequate numbers to make things work.
MN is even further for those people.

Thats the same feeling I have, sure lots of people seem to be interested but I dont think they will draw much of a crowd from outside of their area.

Regional meet... I disagree. If that's the case then the majority of the past SZ's have been regional meets, because the vast majority of the people attending drove less then 5hrs to get there. I'd say just about every SZ has been a regional meet for the EGL/W. Great Lakes :shrug:

I've made ever single SZ since I've had my car up and running and driving isn't a big deal for me. If it's in PA or OH all drive to make it, which doesn't seem to be the case for many of you if it is in MN. I don't know what the big fuss is about. I'm not going to rant on anyone, but I think SZ10 wasn't such a great turn out because it seemed like a lot of things fell apart and is the reason why not many went. I don't think this was necessarily anyone's fault, but I've got to say the best time I had at SZ10, a car meet, was a brewery tour... which is kind of lame with me driving 9 hrs to get there for a car meet.

My point is just because the 'big' event is a drive to get too doesn't mean you won't have fun. It seems like the only reason why everyone of you are against having it in MN is because you would have to drive your car a ways to get there, cry me a river. I've been driving my car to SZ every year and enjoy the drive... even if it brings me through road construction hell in Chicago with tolls every flippin 5 miles.

As for the comments about the All Ford Nationals and Cougarfest... I can't speak for everyone, but I never planned to go to Cougarfest as I don't have a Cougar and I actually never heard of the All Ford Nationals until now, which sounds like a lot of fun.

Three quick things.

1. I'm more inclined to vote for a location that Worldtour is directly involved with. No offense to you.
2. I'm not going to spend more on gas than I will during the whole gathering. 1100 miles one way with 12-14mpg is a bit expensive.
3. You're not going to dissuade any of the Northeast people from voting for a relatively close location.

Regional meet... I disagree. If that's the case then the majority of the past SZ's have been regional meets, because the vast majority of the people attending drove less then 5hrs to get there. I'd say just about every SZ has been a regional meet for the EGL/W. Great Lakes :shrug:
Uhh I dunno what SZs you were at but MD, DE, NY, NJ, PA, NH, MA, CT, aka northeast also make up a huge part of SZ when it is in the EGL area.
We lost a chunk of those people when the event moved 2 hours west last year. We'll lose a heck of a lot more of them moving things 3-4 hours further.
And as was said before, economy plays a huge part in how far people are willing to drive.
Gas, extra time off from work to split into a 2 day drive instead, extra costs of stopping in hotels, etc etc.

As I stated in the other thread, Northeast and New England are the most active regions. Also, let's not forget the overwhelming majority that voted for hosting SZ in EGL/WGL this year. Where were all the MN voters then?

Back