• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Volvo s40 T5 AWD dyno runs are in!

warmonger

Hard-core CEG'er
volvo_dyno_13Apr07.jpg

Well it hit 224wHP/228wTQ rear wheels deactivated on the AWD but still turning all the transfer case hardware and driveshaft.
This is the third generation exhaust manifold with the wastegate vented to atmosphere, the stock intake system (filter and all) and the stock exhaust minus the vented wastegate.
Amazing how it was able to make more HP at the wheels than it came with at the crank on the SAME 10psi boost pressure with just the larger more efficient turbo!
I thought I should share and get any new comments and answer any questions.

Okay, if the image above does not work then you can go http://www.nautilusperformance.com and then click on the Volvo S40 links to see it.

If you start doing stuff for S60R's I will definitely buy one. You do good work!

I love S60R's, but I would really love an S60R with the warmonger touch.

Whats the stock HP on those :shrug:

Cuda has it right, 218 HP at the crankshaft.
I just set down more at the wheels on an AWD car than is made at the crank. :cool: and the beauty of it is that this is at the same boost pressure as comes stock with stock intake/injectors/PCM, etc. Better manifold and better turbo can do that with no other changes.
This is why I'm a proponent of NOT throwing money at tons of aftermarket that works around the problem RATHER than just ponying up the cash up front and Hitting the Problem square in the face.
For this car THE PROBLEM was a little 4" wide turbo....:nonono:

:shrug:
I told you that.

lol :laugh: If only I could have made it to spring zing, I wouldn't have posted this dyno. I'd have just come up with my "stock" turbo and asked you for a friendly run.....

Well with my stock turbo I still make more tq and hp than you so :p This stupid thing should run in the 12's if I can ever get it back to a decent track w/ decent weather.

Hah

Hah.. yeah. We'll see what water injection gets me.

WRX engines need a ton of boos pressure to make power though unlike yours. It's like 8.4:1 compression ratio or somewhere around there.

What do you guys want done with the R?
I thought there was a lot of aftermarket support on the R?

i guess there is. companies like IPD who have been tuning volvo's for years. I'm pretty sure most of the companies do stuff with the S40 as well though :shrug:

You just put on a bigger turbo or are you messing with the ECU? And if so, who's flashing it for you?

EDIT: i read the site...impressive stuff. needs more video though. i suppose you can hear the turbo better now huh? one gripe i have about the R is you can't really hear any of the cool stuff!

Last edited:
i guess there is. companies like IPD who have been tuning volvo's for years. I'm pretty sure most of the companies do stuff with the S40 as well though :shrug:

You just put on a bigger turbo or are you messing with the ECU? And if so, who's flashing it for you?

EDIT: i read the site...impressive stuff. needs more video though. i suppose you can hear the turbo better now huh? one gripe i have about the R is you can't really hear any of the cool stuff!

Nobody makes ANYTHING of value for the 2004.5+ Volvo S40/V50 other than an overpriced exhaust and overpriced tune.

That is why. Companies don't want to deal with the work to research and fabricate a replacement manifold. THey've had two Frkn YEARS where they've been promising it and couldn't deliver. Seriously if you look at the posts they all gave up in favor of selling high "gross" items like tunes, exhausts and intakes that all do basically frkn nothin but suck money of out people.
Now that I've put this out I expect someone to steal the design within a year. :help:

it's the same thing for the R. you can get upgraded stuff from the downpipe back - but there's no upgraded manifolds. though i dunno if there is an upgrade needed over the R manifold.

even if there were it'd be brutally expensive. EDIT: ok MTE makes one, but they're not located in the states...their site seems to be not working right now though

i'm sure you could beat the price on all the volvo "performance" parts dealers. you should get into exhausts and stuff. if you could get something put together for under $1200 you'd probably have lots of buyers.

Last edited:
Did you figure out something yet for a linkage for the wastegate like we talked about? Wish you had it together when I was over there. It would have been nice to see the difference between how it is now and when it was stock.

I have some ideas I want to try.
I think I can mount the wastegate actuator on the head, 90 degrees off from where it would be on the compressor housing Since there are some mounting holes right there and I could run the linkage straight down between two of the runners.
With the internal gate on there I can completely delete the external gate and associated piping so I'd have a ton more room back there and less hot stuff to cook my hoses. Then I'll just work on compacting the manifold down to a smaller design.

Back