• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Vinyl Eyelids

my98SVTturbo

Hard-core CEG'er
Well today i got my vinyl "eyelids" from Parkedcar only to find oput that they were just sheets of vinyl and not pre cut. so how the heck should i cut these out correctly to the headlight.

Make a paper pattern of how you want them, then trace that on the vinyl. Cut and apply vinyl carefully. Make sure cut on bottom edge is smooth and leave an 1/8th inch exta on top and sides to wrap around edge. Also be sure to avoid air bubbles. Practice makes perfect.....Good luck.

I was afraid to do this as well but it all worked out in the end. what I did was tape some waxed paper to my light and traced along the light where I wanted the eyebrow to be. Cut it out and then taped it to the vinyl and cut it out. The reversed my pattern to cut the other side.

for installation I used a squee gee and a heat gun with a little applicator fluid.. if you dont have that you can use a little windex.

I recieved my vinyl "eyelids" today. I'm still quite nervous about installing these. This being a very old thread, I thought some people might want to chime in with some more hints, tips, or tricks.

Do you spray windex on the headlight? It wont ruin the vinyl?

Heres what to do- mix some rubbing alcohol with dish soap and water...just a drop of soap and a bit of alcohol. Use that on the headlight and put the pre-cut vinyl eyelid on it- the soapy water helps you move the eyelid around and when you get it in a good spot start squee gee it out from underneath. The rubbing alcohol helps absorb/evaporate the water quicker for a faster drying time. Done it this way many times and never had a problem..just make sure as you dquee gee the eyelid is in the right spot or else you will need to lift it and put some water underneath to make it moveable again

Or use windex, lol. Same thing in the end....it wont ruin the headlight or the vinyl...wet the headlight/spray it pretty good and put the eyelid on. Then squee gee the windex out and let it dry afterwards- there will most likely be a few airbubbles but if they dont go away then prick it with a sewing needle and push it flat.

Back