• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

V8 rwd csvt

DocStruthers

Veteran CEG'er
soooooo our cars aren't worth much and they aren't going to go up in value.
So why not cut the hell out of one and do a few mods.

I know since it's a fwd v6 the engine compartment is a decent size, it is at least quite wide, fitting a 4.6 DOHC would be "easy", except for cutting out the entire firewall and setting it back a foot or so. :laugh:

Anyway, I wondered, for those of you familiar, are there any good solid locations on the front subframe where motor mounts could be installed? Most likely a subframe would have to be fabbed from scratch but I just wanted to see.

Obviously a channel would be needed for driveshaft and exhaust.

It will be smog legal in CA so I will need room for cats and what not.

I am starting a 5.0 Miata swap so i'll get A LOT more experience with that before I start something as ridiculous as a v8 rwd contour.

OH I spoke to a few B.A.R. employees and they all said as long as the motor has all emissions equipment and passes the sniffer it's orientation(fwd,rwd) shouldn't matter. "shouldn't" lol

Would I ever be able to sell something like this?
I mean sh*t if it passes CA smog and is legal then it would be just about any where else!!!!

--if this thread needs moving, please do so--

Pole120 is starting one. Hes still utilizing the v6 Duratec but putting a T5 behind it to Mustang IRS.
I dont think hes started a thread though, find one of his posts and his facebook is in his signature, there are pics there.

Thats funny because the whole reason fwd/rwd came up with BAR refs was i wanted to take the/a 2.5/3.0 and put it in a miata. I've seen some duratec v6 to t5 adapters on a few build threads. I want a v8, one for sound and two for power. Rwd is a lot for a small v6 to turn. I know it is successful but there are sooo many mustang gts around here for a few g's. let alone a ton of bolt ons, some even being 50state emissions legal. I even found shorty headers for the miata 5.0 that are carb legal. :)

I will DEFINATELY be looking for pole's pics

this sounds like a great project. one concern i would have is with the size of the engine. here in missouri (where the laws are way laxer than CA) you can't legally put an engine that wasn't available as an option into a car made after 86 (not sure about the year). for example SBC and 5.0 swaps with the s-10 and ranger. a v8 was never an option for either of those trucks so in MO it's illegal to do the swap, same with the 5.0 swaps into the miata or focus. just some food for thought that might be worth checking into. good luck with the project and be sure to post pictures.

Damn I thought CA was bad!! The only real limitation is truck motor cant go into a car and viseversa AND the donated drivetrain has to be same year or newer then receiving vehicle. That's all as far as I know. So with that said CA may not be as bad as I thought.

The heaviest and most difficult mod will be the driveshaft/exhaust channel. I would most likely have to weld support beams thoughout the inside of the car, as well as a roll cage, prior to cutting the channel so once I make my cut(s) the structure can maintain itself while I install the new channel.

First is support, I need to reinforce the entire car before I start cutting everything.

The cars seem quite sturdy but nothing a set of subframe connectors, and a 6-8 point roll cage couldn't help. . .

I'm still trying to decide if I want to buy a tube bender or make one. . .

Wow, missouri sucks LOL.
I love Ohio because its so chill around here, only a few counties do emissions. Part of me wishes they all did cause im tired of smelling some of these POS's but the rest of me loves it cause you can do what the hell ever you want to your car. Hell, i bought my Cougar out of PA, brought it back for inspection to get an Ohio title and all she did was check the VIN haha.

The exhaust/drivetrain tunnel will be the least difficult thing. Did you forget that our chassis is designed for AWD? It already has room for a drive shaft. Get a Jag X type AWD gas tank and call it good.

I will be interested in seeing it when you get done. I am thinking about doing the same thing but for different reasons. I have a 95 Mustang with the 5.0 that has been worked on and it still gets about 25MPG on the highway. My SVT Contour has been worked on too but cant even compare to the Mustang and is lucky to get 24MPG. I think the contour would make a nice family car with some power once it was converted.

I will be interested in seeing it when you get done. I am thinking about doing the same thing but for different reasons. I have a 95 Mustang with the 5.0 that has been worked on and it still gets about 25MPG on the highway. My SVT Contour has been worked on too but cant even compare to the Mustang and is lucky to get 24MPG. I think the contour would make a nice family car with some power once it was converted.

Two things: 1. I hope your 5.0 is pretty heavily modified considering the fact that converting to that powertrain will easily add 400 or 500 lbs to the tour. Given it's cast iron block plus all of the chassis reinforcement and rear end. The stock 235hp is not going to be any quicker given that much weight.
2. Have you never wondered why your SVT only gets 24 MPG on highway? Mine is moderately modified and gets close to 30 MPG on the highway, that's above the EPA rating for the car. The 3l cars plus a good portion of the turbo cars maintain mileage higher than 24 MPG.

I wouldn't be using the 5.0 out of my Mustang if I ever did the build. I never wondered about the 24MPG. That is about what its been getting since it rolled of the assembly line. I have a Mini Cooper S that only manages 26MPG so that doesn't make the Contour look as bad. The best thing the Contour has going for it is its handling but MPG and power are not strong points. It may be my driving style because the 95 Mustang I own is my fourth 5.0 and they all have averaged in the higher 20s on the highway. I had a 89 SHO that I sold when I bought the Contour back in 2000 and it was supercharged and managed about 26 MPG. If I could drive the Contour the way I like to and get 30 MPG I would be happy as I could be. Good on you for being able to get it. Unfortunately for me I cant get mine to do that. I was looking at getting a G8 or an RT Charger so I could have my power fix and still haul my teenagers around but that is why the V-8 contour sounds so appealing to me. I get attached to things and would prefer to make them the way I would like them instead of selling them and getting something else.

Man this thread has more twists then a hollywood thriller.
I cant use a 5L cause i need 99 or newer powertrain and cant afford the 2011 5L lol

A V8 would be cheaper...but it seems obvious cheap is not the goal...but seems like in planting a duratec longitudinal there would just suddenly be plenty of room for turbo(s). Heck, an Ecoboost transplant could be a fun alternative that way as well.

an Ecoboost transplant could be a fun alternative that way as well.
proly would be an interesting swap but it wouldn't even want to think about the headache that it would cause to put the computer in or trying to find a way to make the tour's computer work.

proly would be an interesting swap but it wouldn't even want to think about the headache that it would cause to put the computer in or trying to find a way to make the tour's computer work.
I agree but if you're gonna dream, dream big dammit! LOL, I'm anxious now to see Pole120's RWD duratec build, cuz I suddenly can't shake the thought of a 3L RWD with a pair of small turbos. I'm thinking...keep the tune around 300HP but make that puppy spool from down low...:drool: If only I had money and time...

I agree but if you're gonna dream, dream big dammit! LOL, I'm anxious now to see Pole120's RWD duratec build, cuz I suddenly can't shake the thought of a 3L RWD with a pair of small turbos. I'm thinking...keep the tune around 300HP but make that puppy spool from down low...:drool: If only I had money and time...

forget 300HP. 3L RWD, with a pair of DR650s should make over 500WHP. or DR750s to make over 600WHP. both are TD04 based turbos so they spool up very fast.

i found a complete 03 cobra engine/trans/ecu set up.
$$$$$ but oh yeah.
that's what i'm lookin for!!!!

Back