• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

V6 Top Speed?

svt speedo = 160mph, top speed drag limited to 143mph.
His original question was the top speed of a v6 ATX Mystique. Man... you guys are all over the place. :laugh:

To add to your comment though... I'm sure you'd need a huge stretch of track to get to that speed. Takes a bit of time just to get from 130 to 135.

I can tell you a Zetec with like 150k miles has a tough time reaching the limiter, and it's not that rough when it hits it. Just decelerates to about 105 then gets power again... repeats that over and over. Quite boring, actually. Same in my Sentra... hits 130 with an uneventful slow down.

What's rough is a 95 9C1 Caprice with a 3.75 rear end (stock is 3.08) and stock VSS hitting the 125MPH limiter. It would buck like someone first learning to drive a stick. Of course, the car was actually going much slower, but the ECU sure thought so).

I can tell you a Zetec with like 150k miles has a tough time reaching the limiter, and it's not that rough when it hits it. Just decelerates to about 105 then gets power again... repeats that over and over. Quite boring, actually. Same in my Sentra... hits 130 with an uneventful slow down.

What's rough is a 95 9C1 Caprice with a 3.75 rear end (stock is 3.08) and stock VSS hitting the 125MPH limiter. It would buck like someone first learning to drive a stick. Of course, the car was actually going much slower, but the ECU sure thought so).
i would say something about the zetec and hitting the governer, but i dont want to get banned :D:D

Ford says 143mph, but it's been proven many times that you can go right past that.

ford says yo momma. I'm just regurgitating what I've seen posted on the forums millions of times. How you like me now??

His original question was the top speed of a v6 ATX Mystique. Man... you guys are all over the place. :laugh:

To add to your comment though... I'm sure you'd need a huge stretch of track to get to that speed. Takes a bit of time just to get from 130 to 135.

we already answered his question based on the speed governor. Then we continued the discussion to other somewhat relevant points.

ahh ok. I knew you had to be asking something other than what I smugly replied to.

Yeah, I should have been more specific the first time.

there is a difference in exactly what happens. the rev limiter does just pull the timing however the governer wants to slow you down. the easiest way to do that without applying the brakes is to pull the fuel and ignition and let the engine be a big air pump and add lots of resistance. Just like AJ said, it bucks HARD when you hit the governer.

That makes sense.

I had bounced the governer on many occassions, and it never bucked hard, just slowed you down a little, whats all this buck HARD crap? Never happened to me in my v6 ATX Tour!?

I had bounced the governer on many occassions, and it never bucked hard, just slowed you down a little, whats all this buck HARD crap? Never happened to me in my v6 ATX Tour!?

I dunno but the first time I hit it in my zetec I thought that I broke something the way it cut out

I dunno but the first time I hit it in my zetec I thought that I broke something the way it cut out

weird, i have hit it in my wifes gl auto, and in my se v6 auto, and it never bucked at all, is yours a manual? maybe it hass to do with the auto versus manual?

weird, i have hit it in my wifes gl auto, and in my se v6 auto, and it never bucked at all, is yours a manual? maybe it hass to do with the auto versus manual?

yeah I have a manual but it could be any number of things, like say the roll restrictors being shot and the engine unloading at high rpm and speed ... who is to really say :shrug:

yeah I have a manual but it could be any number of things, like say the roll restrictors being shot and the engine unloading at high rpm and speed ... who is to really say :shrug:
i suspect its more of an MTX vs ATX thing. since my Zetec MTX with PRT RR bucked hard off the governer. :shrug:

I am going to say it must be a MTX thing, cause the ATX was super smooth when it hit it!

Wow, our cars are strange. I say this because when i hit the govenor back when I was younger and really stupider the thing hit so hard that the front end took a big dive and sparks shot out from under the front of the car. I pulled of to find out that my bug/stone deflector underneath was there no longer. scared me enough not to do that again for a while, but like I said i was stupid and was soon driving like it again.

1) Non-SVT Contours are speed limited to approx 115mph by the PCM because of the speed rating of the OE tires. The limiter is largely done by fuel cutoff in the calibration, though many factors can affect exactly what happens between the fuel and spark. This is NOT the same as the rpm limiter, which always cuts fuel and spark to prevent over-revving the engine.

2) SVT Contours have a Ford published top speed of 143 mph. Different conditions with different cars can vary this slightly, especially a tailwind. Aerodynamic Drag is the controlling factor at this speed. Modified CSVTs with increased power can go faster. We do NOT recommend any one here try this on a public road, or anywhere that is not a closed test track designed for such use. The autobahn is another option in the areas where speed is unregulated.

3) Factory speedometers are NOT terribly accurate above 80 mph or so. At high speed, what your speedometer may indicate may be as much as 10% off from your actual speed, possibly even more depending on how close you are to exactly the same as the OE tire size.

1) Non-SVT Contours are speed limited to approx 115mph by the PCM because of the speed rating of the OE tires. The limiter is largely done by fuel cutoff in the calibration, though many factors can affect exactly what happens between the fuel and spark. This is NOT the same as the rpm limiter, which always cuts fuel and spark to prevent over-revving the engine.

Similar situation in the Cougars. Sport Package Cougars do not have speed limiters, whereas non-Sport Package Cougars are speed limited to about the same 115 MPH, and also because of the speed rating on the OEM tires that come with the 15" wheels on the non-Sport vehicles.

Rara is absolutely correct about non svt tours going only 115. I tried this once when i was driving home from XXXX to XXXXX.... i was falling asleep and wanted to wake up... so i slammed the throttle and found my meter reachinng 110, when it got to 115, the rpm just cut out... and that was that... ATX, 170k...

Rara is absolutely correct about non svt tours going only 115. I tried this once when i was driving home from XXXX to XXXXX.... i was falling asleep and wanted to wake up... so i slammed the throttle and found my meter reachinng 110, when it got to 115, the rpm just cut out... and that was that... ATX, 170k...

u mean u popped ur motor?

Back