• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Upper manifold R&R

Rick

CEG'er
I am probably going to R&R the upper manifold in attempt to clean the ports along with replacing the IMRC box. What gaskets (if any) do I need other than the manifold gaskets? Does the coolant have to be drained to do this? What else do I need to look out for. What amount of time is necessary?

When you remove the upper intake you have to unbolt the EGR valve from the intake. The throttle body is removed to gain access to the EGR port behind the gasket. (my 115k mile engine I put in my SVT had never been cleaned and was plugged).

So you need upper or upper and lower gasket kit.
EGR gasket and throttle body gasket.

If you havn't done a tune up in a while the plgs and wires will be easy to get to at this time. Remember . . If you spray cleaners into the intake ports you can flood the engine with cleaner and you might have to crank a while the first time you start it after cleaning.

What material are the OEM gaskets made of? Is the FelPro MS95727 a good alternative to the OEM Ford parts.?

Fel-Pro is fine, in my experience.

They are just plastic frameworks with a little silicone rubber bead around it.

Back