• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

unlocking xcal3..........

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
i dont have my car to unlock the xcal 3 but i still have the xcal3. how can i get it unlocked to sell it without plugging it in??? can i send it to sct? maybe my tuner can do it??? thx for any help

you can download this program called LiveLoad Ford and it unlocks it!! My dad used it to unlock his Xcal before he sold it

Nothing should unlock a tuner legally unless you mail it to SCT and pay them to unlock it.

That being said my Xcal2 was unlocked a while ago when I plugged it into my brother in laws car. I believe that car has a few electrical issues so it wiped the Xcal 2 somehow. You are free to try that. lol :) Also you won't ever be able to load another tune into your car unless you reload the stock tune back into it. A Xcal won't lock to a car unless it has a stock tune in it. I had to send my computer and Xcal2 to SCT so they could reload the stock tune into the ECU and verify the Xcal2 was still ok.

Nothing should unlock a tuner legally unless you mail it to SCT and pay them to unlock it.

That being said my Xcal2 was unlocked a while ago when I plugged it into my brother in laws car. I believe that car has a few electrical issues so it wiped the Xcal 2 somehow. You are free to try that. lol :) Also you won't ever be able to load another tune into your car unless you reload the stock tune back into it. A Xcal won't lock to a car unless it has a stock tune in it. I had to send my computer and Xcal2 to SCT so they could reload the stock tune into the ECU and verify the Xcal2 was still ok.

problem is there is no car to unlock it from. the car is totaled and i can't get near it.

Well i can tell you the program above unlocked it. That was an xcal2 so not sure if it was changed much, but it was originally locked to my dads 01 GT that was written off when he got tboned by a guy running a red light. He then got the program, unlocked it and sold it to another guy with an F150 and it locked to his truck in the first try as if it never had a car before on it ..

It wasn't locked then.

That what I was thinking. As far as I know, to get a SCT tuner unlocked, you must send it back to SCT. It cost $150 I believe.

Pretty much all modified Lightnings and Cobras are running Xcal3's so I've heard this question come up many times before and the only reliable answer I've heard is to send it back and pay the fee.

IF, you set the PCM back to stock, then that program will unlock an xcal2. I did this with my old Xcal2 I had used on my turbo Zetec. I hooked the PCM back up to a working car, and set it back to stock, then used that program to unlock the xcal2 so it could be used for my SVT when doing the 3L.

He returned the 01 GT to "stock" via the Xcal2 and then used the program to unlock it. Then mated it to his new 03 GT with no problems...maybe thats the reason he could do it, as in returning it to the stock tune first on the car it was mated to in the first place.

I guarantee I can unlock it with PRP. I have already did it for a Xcal2

I was working with a tech at SCT for quite a while to get my issues figured out and they said the only way to unlock it was to send it to them. I have the PRP software as well. Maybe there is a trick that some people know about but your not supposed to be able to unlock it on your own unless you load the stock tune back into your car.

I was working with a tech at SCT for quite a while to get my issues figured out and they said the only way to unlock it was to send it to them. I have the PRP software as well. Maybe there is a trick that some people know about but your not supposed to be able to unlock it on your own unless you load the stock tune back into your car.

Interesting... well I know it unlocked it because after I was finished with it, one of the unlocks had been used up, which is what happens after you put a stock tune back onto a vehicle. Well that and it said it was unlocked ;)

You can unlock a Xcal up to 5 times but you have to load the stock tune back into the car it was locked to in order to do it.

That's what I am saying... I used up an unlock on the Xcal by unlocking it with the PRP, without hooking it up to a car and loading a stock tune.

So you have a car with a tune loaded into it and somehow unlocked the Xcal via the PRP? If you did that, have you gone back to your car to try to tune it because you might be screwed? The tuner won't lock to a car if the stock tune isn't in it and you can't tune the car if the Xcal won't lock to it. So you can't tune your car any more unless you find a way to get a stock tune back into the ECU. Your Xcal won't load a stock tune back in unless it locks to it which it won't.

If the ECU has a stock tune in it still your fine and probably why it let you unlock it.

well why dont we let mike try it on my xcal3 because there's no way i'm getting near my car ever again. the tow bill is way more than what its worth, and its wrecked beyond recognition, i probably couldnt get to the pcm or the scan port. if i have to pay to unlock it, i'll keep it and do it when i get another tunable vehicle.

So you have a car with a tune loaded into it and somehow unlocked the Xcal via the PRP? If you did that, have you gone back to your car to try to tune it because you might be screwed? The tuner won't lock to a car if the stock tune isn't in it and you can't tune the car if the Xcal won't lock to it. So you can't tune your car any more unless you find a way to get a stock tune back into the ECU. Your Xcal won't load a stock tune back in unless it locks to it which it won't.

If the ECU has a stock tune in it still your fine and probably why it let you unlock it.

Chris, yes I know all that. I'm not a moron...

I was asked to unlock it by another member on here. He purchased an Xcal2 from someone and it was still locked to that persons car, because they didn't want to put it back to stock and didn't tell him it was locked. SO for his purposes it is perfectly fine.

I never said you were a moron. I'm only relaying what I experienced with my locked Xcal2/PRP and what I've been told by SCT. I wasn't aware there was an option in the PRP software to unlock a device. People are always asking how to unlock them on the SCT forums without sending them to SCT.

Back