• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Underdrive pulleys

I<3mycontour

CEG'er
Ok before you flame me for wanting to put an UD crank pulley bear in mind that there are mixed reviews, I am curious to know where I can get said pulley and if you had one if you could let me know if it toasted your car or if you have had it without any problems, and what difference a crank pulley makes in comparison to an alternator and powersteering pulley, or if they all do the same thing? Also on a side note what needs to be done to the stock y pipe to "optimize it"

your going to get flamed , but only because you didnt search before asking , UDP ( under drive pully ) on the crank is fine ( i just found this out the other day myself ) the alternator is a NO because the alternators are already junk in our cars and the UDP will kill it faster .,. optimizes y pipe basicly fixes fords screw up from the factory ( do a search for optimized y pipe , many will pop up and show you )

The alternator and power steering pulleys are not under drive pulleys. they are over drive pulleys to go with the UDP for the crank so that they still turn about the same speed as stock. they are also light weight.

your going to get flamed , but only because you didnt search before asking , UDP ( under drive pully ) on the crank is fine ( i just found this out the other day myself ) the alternator is a NO because the alternators are already junk in our cars and the UDP will kill it faster .,. optimizes y pipe basicly fixes fords screw up from the factory ( do a search for optimized y pipe , many will pop up and show you )

well thats the thing I did search and I got a lot of mixed reviews... as for optimizing the Y pipe would it be possible to simply remove the divider between the pipes (I.e. right before the flange where they are pinched together) with a hole saw and then weld up the gap?

Ok, this is probably a silly question....but reading about pulleys made me think about the idler pulley I just put on last night... It was actually 3/8th's in larger than the one I took off. It did fit in, however, was much closer to the tensioner pulley. Will this be ok?

as far as i know the idler wont affect anything, as long as it dosnt hit the the tensioner you should be good since the idler dosnt run anything. its just there to rout the belt......

Back