• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

TurboXS RFL Issue Resolution

I don't have any issues with my Type H. I'll post a pic showing the difference between the two Turbo XS BOV I have.

As promised, here is a comparison of the parts for each BOV: the Type-RBV and the Type-H.
* Most obvious (?) is that one spring is almost twice as long as the other. :shrug:
* The knurled housings are the same size, but the threads are different, so they are not interchangeable.
* The pistons are inverted in the picture to show off their differences. If the one on the left opens at all, air will easily rush out. The one on the right must move a much greater distance, so it's easy to see why that might be less prone to leakage.

50.jpg

i think the spring in my rfl is more like the one on the right. again I don't think mine is leaking from the intake pipe side, just the top where the vacuum line fitting is.

if I can get a typeH cheap I might try that for a bit. or I will just get a tial.

well to bring this back up I was running a standard type H that I got from SoopaCooga. It definately didn't pull air past the seal in the top of the bov.

however the other weekend I put the RFL back on my car. it was doing the same thing but I don't believe it is leaking boost at all. I turned it up to 12 psi this weekend. hit the highway and it sat nicely at 12 psi until either high rpm or some time and it dropped alittle. next pull I made it went to 11 psi so I suspect it was heat in the system that decreased the boost alittle. So it doesn't appear to me that its leaking boost like on the dyno last year. however I was using a 3 psi spring and Im guessing the wastegate cracked open at high rpm as it dropped from 10 psi to about 8 iirc. now I am running a 8 psi spring in the wastegate. fuel and egt all looked good from what I observed.

...if I cover the trumpet on the bov with my hand I feel vacuum on it. when I remove the vacuum line off the top of the unit the vacuum will stop. the valve work fine but sometimes it will stall, a few revs of the engine help stablize it.

I only bring this back up again cuz i just purchased & installed an RFL. So if i understand u brian, if the "trumpet" sucks in ur hand, that's good?

if you feel a vacuum on the trumpet that means the valve is open a little bit at idle, which is not good. it should be adjusted so that the valve is closed at idle, but only just barely so that it opens the instant it sees vacuum coming off boost.

Yep, you will likly have stalling issues when coming to a stop if you can feel suction at the trumpet. I also was not able to dial my tune in for idle and light cruise situations until that 'vac leak' was fixed.

if you feel a vacuum on the trumpet that means the valve is open a little bit at idle, which is not good. it should be adjusted so that the valve is closed at idle, but only just barely so that it opens the instant it sees vacuum coming off boost.

Got it. thx. Its got 3 shimms in there already, so i'll see what happens as i add more. The previous posts by owners isnt quite comforting tho...

Yep, you will likly have stalling issues when coming to a stop if you can feel suction at the trumpet. I also was not able to dial my tune in for idle and light cruise situations until that 'vac leak' was fixed.

Yeah i do. IN fact, its always done that once in a while when i had the tiny xs S type i think. Seems to do it a bit more with this one.

Very very rarely did I get stalls with my HKS bov. Only if I came off boost and immediately clutched in to brake and come to a stop. The rich condition from venting to atmosphere would sometimes bog it more than the ECU could accomodate. In those situations I would just blip the throttle to bring it back.

Very very rarely did I get stalls with my HKS bov. Only if I came off boost and immediately clutched in to brake and come to a stop. The rich condition from venting to atmosphere would sometimes bog it more than the ECU could accomodate. In those situations I would just blip the throttle to bring it back.

of course, you could fix that by recirculating it. I run an HKS in recirc on my VR4, so much nicer than either the stock or Type-S valves i had been using, plus no adjustment necessary.

Back