• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turboing my SVT... just a few questions

Reebs

meester super sleuth
Hey guys.

I'm glad that I can now be a part of the Forced Induction threads! Here is what I am picking up Saturday...

- NEW Turbonetics T3/T4 Turbo (48 trim, ceramic coated, anodized, includes fel-pro gaskets and necessary O2 bungs)
- NEW Aeroquip Stainless Steel braided oil lines for turbo
- NEW Custom manifolds (Only set made by ITS, log-style, steel)
- NEW Tial 38mm wastegate
- NEW Turbo XS Type S blow off valve
- USED Street Flight Air/Liquid intercooler (Excellent condition, already modified for a T3/T4 turbo, comes with a Mitsubishi BPV already bolted on)
- NEW Heat exchanger & water pump for IC (Straight from Street Flight)
- NEW Denso iridium spark plugs (One step colder for turbo)
- NEW Pro-Flo 75mm MAF
- USED 39# Ford Racing returnless injectors: $130 (Eight injectors off of an '03 Cobra)

Here is my situation. My SVT is a 98.5 with 125,000 miles. The engine runs great and burns no oil. Just installed a new spec stage 1 clutch (before I decided to go turbo :( , should have went stage 3! ) and a built tranny with a Torsen. Also fidanza flywheel. Anyways, I plan on doing a full oval port 3L in the near future but I want to get the full use out of my great SVT motor. I know a few guys who have turbo'd higher mileage cars, but I just was wondering if anybody around here has turbo'd their SVT over 100,000 miles? After doing the work to install the turbo, I'd like to at least get some good life out of my 2.5. Also, the turbo is obviously from Turbonetics and it has the 48 trim (wanted the 60 trim but oh well, I didn't order it!)... is anyone else running any turbo comparative to it? I know the hybrid t3/t4 spools early and fast, but I really want the top end of the t4. I might have to buy the t4 from someone else if you guys say that the hybrid won't get me what I am looking to get as for power... (around 300 hp). I know the power will vary depending on my other mods, but do you guys think that is a good turbo for the contour. I guess I could always upgrade the trim later when I do the 3L.

Any advice on the choice of turbo? .... or putting the turbo on a 125,000 mile SVT that has been well maintained and runs perfect? By the way... where do you custom turbo kit guys get your intercooler piping...etc...?!?!

Another dumb question... is it possible to get a decent tune running low boost with my SAFC II until I get my xcal? I don't really mess with my SAFC II, so I don't know much about it. The only time I did mess with it I accidently changed my Sensor type so that my car wouldn't start unless my MAF was unplugged! :rolleyes:

Thanks guys! I am excited get this sucker put together!

Reebs

Last edited:
SAFCII = :troutslap: for F/I applications.

03/04 Cobra injectors are only drop-in for returnless fuel systems. You'll have to buy a) new injectors, or b) solder in new injector harness clips.

Mark

SAFCII = :troutslap: for F/I applications.

03/04 Cobra injectors are only drop-in for returnless fuel systems. You'll have to buy a) new injectors, or b) solder in new injector harness clips.

Mark

I know that the SAFC II sucks for F/I, but I was just curious if I can even get a semi driveable tune for a month or two until I get a xcal.

Where should I pick up injectors from? And what pound or cc should I get!?!?

Thanks,

Reebs

I highly doubt the safc can adjust the fuel curves enough for a FI application. What are you power goals? That will determine the injectors youll need.

I highly doubt the safc can adjust the fuel curves enough for a FI application. What are you power goals? That will determine the injectors youll need.

I did some research and I agree about the SAFC not being good enough to handle FI. Anyways, I am shooting for about 300 hp now, and then 350 hp when I get my 3L with many more mods. So which injectors should I go for... and where would you buy them?

Do you think it is a stupid idea to turbo a 125,000 mile SVT? I guess worst case sceniario is that I get my 3L early! :shrug:

Thanks,

Reebs

If you are not afraid to do some extra wrenching, I think learning the install and tuning process on an older motor is a great move...if you F anything up real bad you already have a back up plan.

If you are not afraid to do some extra wrenching, I think learning the install and tuning process on an older motor is a great move...if you F anything up real bad you already have a back up plan.

Thanks for the advice. I don't want to wait for my 3L to put my turbo on anyways!

Any advice on my turbo/trim? Also, a good place to get injectors?

Thanks,

Reebs

I really dont have any turbo experience, and shogofast does make a good point.... However, I would think that if you plan on doing a 3 liter in the near future turbo'ing it while the 3 liter is on a stand would be easiest.

Do you think it is a stupid idea to turbo a 125,000 mile SVT? I guess worst case sceniario is that I get my 3L early! :shrug:

I know that the SAFC II sucks for F/I, but I was just curious if I can even get a semi driveable tune for a month or two until I get a xcal.

So, you are okay risking metal parts blowing through the hot side of the turbo? And, you are risking a known crappy engine management method until you can save up for an XCal?

Please have mercy on your turbo/car and don't half-ass it.

I would think that you would want to only buy injectors once and 24# will be too small for your 3L project, but would definatly work for your 2.5. I have a set of 24# if your interested.

So, you are okay risking metal parts blowing through the hot side of the turbo? And, you are risking a known crappy engine management method until you can save up for an XCal?

Please have mercy on your turbo/car and don't half-ass it.

You must have missed my statement that I did some research and decided that my SAFC II is a piece of crap for engine management of a F/I application. And yes I am going with the xcal from the beginning. I already found one for sale, I just have to make sure that I have the same PCM code.

And just to let you know, I don't do a job 50%. I decided to go ahead and get the xcal right away once I found out that it would be half-assing a job without it. Also, if by some chance my turbo is damaged when my 2.5 goes, then it makes up my mind to go for the Turbonectics t4 with my 3L.

Thanks for your advice!

Reebs

By the way SHOGOFAST... I don't think I will go for those 24# injectors because I know I'll need something a little bigger in the future. Unless you make an offer I can't refuse! PM me! Thanks for the information and offer though!

Also, if u want the best performance, dont use iridiums, ur better off with ngk tr6 copper plugs and just change them every other oil change. Iridiums are not ideal for performance. The turbo size is good for a 3L.

If your going to do a 3L soon, then dont waist the time to put everything on the 2.5L. Be patient! For the love of god, BE PATIENT! I know what its like to want boost. Trust me, i have 2 boosted cars, and i've learned some things the hard way. Especially with the contour.

Robert

keep doing research...your pcm doesn't matter with an xcal.

:) I know I need to research the xcal more, but there is some code somewhere and I know it has to match the xcal. Or have I been completely led down the wrong path?

Thanks,

Reebs

Also, if u want the best performance, dont use iridiums, ur better off with ngk tr6 copper plugs and just change them every other oil change. Iridiums are not ideal for performance. The turbo size is good for a 3L.

If your going to do a 3L soon, then dont waist the time to put everything on the 2.5L. Be patient! For the love of god, BE PATIENT! I know what its like to want boost. Trust me, i have 2 boosted cars, and i've learned some things the hard way. Especially with the contour.

Robert

Thanks for the info Robert. How much do the NGK tr6 copper plugs cost? I am glad the turbo size is good, but is it big enough to make 300 hp? I heard that with the 48 trim, this turbo will probally be maxing out at around 275hp on a 2.5 SVT. Not that 275 is too low, I just would like to have some room to play with the turbo. Also, I don't want to wait 2 or 3 years for my 2.5 to go. I really appreciate the advice about waiting, but I really look forward to having this be a huge learning process, whether I learn the hard way or not.

Also, Robert, please tell me your story about learning something the hard way on the Contour! Did you turbo your 2.5 at higher mileage?

Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice so far!

Reebs

TR6 plugs are about $2 a piece, lot cheaper than iridiums. 48 trim should get u close. Ur going to have issues with traction at 275. Believe me, it's more than enough to get u in trouble. Tuning can go a long ways to how much power can be made. Dont know for sure if its going to yield 300 with that turbo. But a lot depends on the efficiency of the intercooler, tuning, how much air the turbo flows, etc. Turbo'ing a car is a serious bit of math, most people just thing they can throw a turbo on a car and make whatever hp they want. Unfortunately, it's not that easy.

Robert

Progressive Boost Controller?

Good idea, but not needed to drive the car with his configuration. I ran mine with just a 2 stage TurboXS boost controller at 281whp and 314wtq. It'd spin second on a good night rolling into the throttle, and always when power shifting. In the rain, u can forget about the notion of traction. It's not going to be a reality if u go past 75% throttle.

Robert

Good idea, but not needed to drive the car with his configuration. I ran mine with just a 2 stage TurboXS boost controller at 281whp and 314wtq. It'd spin second on a good night rolling into the throttle, and always when power shifting. In the rain, u can forget about the notion of traction. It's not going to be a reality if u go past 75% throttle.

Robert

Robert,

Thanks for all the good advice, and thanks to everyone else for their advice too. I love CEG! Anyways, do you really mean that the $2 plugs are better for performance than the ones I mentioned? The seller wants $50 for all 6 (obviously new). If the $2 plugs are better for performance, then heck yeah I'll go for them!

And about the turbo... I guess your saying that it will give me more than enough power! I really want big numbers, but then of course there is the traction issue. I guess 300 -400 hp is only fun when your on the freeway and can bite the road!

Thanks again... and keep the advice flowing. Anything out of the ordinary to worry about or look out for when installing the turbo on the contour, etc.... although I have probally found out most of the stuff searching!

Reebs

Back