• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo Or Super Charger?

trhlz1222

Veteran CEG'er
I got a 1998 contour svt. i have no motor work but im lookin to do alot. ive found plug wires a short ram intake that i was gonna get. im mostly interested in which i should get...a turbo or a super chargeR? any input would be really helpful cause im not really sure about anything to do to my car. its my first car and i dont want it to die but i want it to have some power and eventually put it into a big car show. i also have no idea where to get a turbo or super charger and how to install it. just post up wat ur opionion is. thank you

try searching please ...

but for a turbo you would need to find a used kit or make one ...

for a supercharger you would need to find a used one ...

Unfortunately, that short ram intake will be going out the window with either a turbo or supercharger kit since both use their own intake setups.

I honestly prefer the ADC turbo setup since it makes more power under the curve. You can probably find a used kit for $3000. As far as installation, you need plenty of tools. Just see what it takes to take off the stock exhaust manifolds and youll see what im talking about. ;)

On a 2.5L, with a turbo T-28 setup, expect about 275-295 whp and about 265-275 wtq.
With the Vortech supercharger setup, expect about 265-270 whp and about 205-215 wtq.

I'd do both!! We all know that 16 year olds are made of money!!

Isn't this the 2nd person this week to say their SVT is their first car, and they are going to turbo/supercharge it?

Questions to ask yourself:

1: Do you have ~$8k to make a turbo a reliable option?
2: Do you have the know-how to install it yourself?
3: What kind of racing(if any) do you plan to do with this car?
4: Are you willing to rebuild the motor when it goes(98's don't have the revised ringlands)?
5: Do you have a 2nd vehicle to drive while the SVT is torn apart?

Mark

nitrous. its showy, and easier to do, plus initial investment is about 1500$ for everything brand new. as long as you can handle a little wiring its pretty easy.

ok im 18 not made of money and the contour is my second car but im really looking into and reading and getting as much info for when i have the time and money i will turbo or if fortune has it ill pick up a spare car se or svt and rebuilt it with a 3l turbo.

one of my friends has hookups with GM performance division and he's getting the same engine build/head setup as there FWD drag cars (2.2L ecotec) and he's twincharging his. the stock setup with the blower he had at 8psi made 220HP so the twincharged setup totaling 22psi and all the other good stuff should bring him up over 500 to the front wheels. of course it'll be a pain to drive, more a weekend car once it's done.

Back