• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

turbo help

myconsvt

CEG'er
i was wondering if anyone had any diagrams of the pipeing for a custom turbo kit, mainly i need a picture/ help with the y-pipe and how i set it up for the turbo.

i was wondering if anyone had any diagrams of the pipeing for a custom turbo kit, mainly i need a picture/ help with the y-pipe and how i set it up for the turbo.
A drawing will not help you ... you need to either work off an engine on an engine stand KNOWING full well where you have room or not AND/OR work on it with the engine in the car. From there, you simply start measuring length and angles and then start to jot down notes. Someone else's notes are going to be highly gaurded as they took the time to make it work ... the least you could do is the same. That being said, Warmonger has posts all over the old boards/high website with pictures of his designs. Pictures will not tell you what angle to align pipes at or what lengths to cut them at ... that has to come from you working on the system as described above.

warmonger's turbo piping concept sketch

warmonger's turbo piping concept sketch

I have a sketch that I did as a concept for my last piping set I made. I think its pretty clear as to the conceptual layout, but it may/may not be to you guys.

turbo concept.jpg

Just remember who's design sketches these are! lol
You guys would really be suprised to see some of the crap I've sketched out in my "Contour Modifications" notebook.

That sketch looks so much better in person. I like holding it and imagining!

it makes it look so much easier than it is. it's tempting but its looking very promising that i'll have a blower on this fall.

it makes it look so much easier than it is. it's tempting but its looking very promising that i'll have a blower on this fall.

if you have access to, and are any good at welding, blowers are not worth it compared to turbos, the torque curves alone are worth the headaches of designing and building the pipe work.

at least in my opinion.

yep i agree. i would really like to try and get a front mount intercooler though. water/air makes for too much stuff to put in my trunk, if it would have a tank. i'll already have 2 nitrous bottles and a battery back there :)

My water/air IC doesn't seem to take up too much room in my trunk.

Oh, yeah.. none of it is in the trunk, that's why.

There's ways around everything! don't give up!

yep i agree. i would really like to try and get a front mount intercooler though. water/air makes for too much stuff to put in my trunk, if it would have a tank. i'll already have 2 nitrous bottles and a battery back there :)

are you planning on running an intercooler with the blower? if not, then simply run a turbo without an intercooler, temp of the air charge will not be much different between a turbo or centrifical supercharger, when sized properly.

of-course if you go forced induction, you can always ditch the nitrous bottles, or at least one to free up space.

btw, war, I hope you don't have a patent or something on that exhaust plumbing ;) I have been planning something similar for awhile :D

btw, war, I hope you don't have a patent or something on that exhaust plumbing ;) I have been planning something similar for awhile :D

I have too (in my head). Once ADC mentioned that they were stopping the production of their kits, I started thinking about making one. And War mentioned long ago about chopping the front header, it became obvious how to accomplish it. The layout isnt that difficult, but its all in the execution.

Im hoping I can at least do the design and fabbing myself, and let someone else do the finish welds. I would just tack everything together and then take it in for some purdy welds. Bring the rear header around to the front, weld on a ball socket to the front header, make a nice 2-->1 up pipe, then carry the downpipe under the trans to the stock exhaust location. A flex pipe or two and maybe an extra flange on the dp to ease removal if necessary. Get an IC, route the intake pipes. Buy the bends, band saw, and welder. Its easy in theory at least, right :rolleyes:

Last edited:
stock compression with 10psi and a 50 shot should last just long enough to get the 2.5 built with the forged 8.5:1 compression pistons..... hopefully.

Warmonger: Whats the idea of having the downpipe split into two supposed to be for? You have a PM as well.
Two simple words: Flow Area.

You can't fit any pipe larger the 2.5" (top to bottom) in that area. So that leaves two options. 3" oval piping (very expensive and a lot more fabrication time) or two pipes. My thinking is that twin 2" pipes (~30% more flow area then single 2.5") are more then sufficient but twin 2.25" will support even huge HP mongers. (500+)

Warmonger: Whats the idea of having the downpipe split into two supposed to be for? You have a PM as well.

What Demon said.

We don't like scraping pipes.
With the addition of having the wastegate plumbed INTO the system if you want it quiet, then you will have to have more flow area than the 2.5" downpipe shows. See the reason a car can still support that power with a 2.5" downpipe and catback system is the atmospheric vented wastegate (which in the location shown on our cars is NOT too loud :D )
However, stuff that exhaust that would be flowing through the wastegate at WOT back into the exhaust, and you want a lot of flow area to keep restriction down.

Back