• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo Blankets

Keyser

CEG'er
Recently I became a Garrett dealer and I've come across a guy who makes those thermal turbine blankets. He can make them to fit T2,3,4 or 6 whatever is needed. Right now they are only available in T4. Would there be any interest in these? They come in Gray or Black. I'm ordering one for myself in black to verify the quality.

Gray_and_Black_Turbo_Blankets.jpg

Being these are custom made figure 2 weeks.

Those are such an awesome blanket that I recommend ANYONE buying a turbo to add it to their price list. At $130 it will cut down on underhood heat so much that it will pay for itself within a year easily just on reduction of brittle plastic components.
Also, it will help your spool time in our cars because it keeps the turbine hotter. Our cars have the turbine so far down stream that we lose a lot of heat and therefore less efficiency when spooling a larger turbo. This blanket with header wrap down the y-pipe will give you an additional 500rpm.

That is the very same type of blanket I ran all the time on my car....fyi.

is that a better product than, say, this Thermo-Tec insulation kit?

I've seen them both in person and yes the blue/black blankets are thicker than the thermotec/dei kits and I believe they insulate a bit better. Lets put it this way, with the blue blanket I had you could do several full throttle runs at the track, pull up and put your hands right on the blanket over the housing and it would only feel warm to at most hot like a baked potato out of the oven, not melt your flesh off! lol
The thermotec paints and header wrap are top notch product for the money and will also allow you to wrap your pipes and keep in the heat. Perfect for keeping the heat into the exhaust until it turns out under the car. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to work on your car too if the car is warm.
The only negative is that ones the header wrap is older it suffers from flaking if you bang/scrape it when you work on the car.

On the other hand those thermotec/dei kits give you everything you need to lace up the insulation yourself. More work but allows you to account for awkward configurations

is that a better product than, say, this Thermo-Tec insulation kit?

from my experience, i have seen many of those break down and get brittle. i have even seen those melt on some cars. the one he is selling in this thread is far superior to those. i have one on my car that looks just like the ones they are making, but bought from another company early this year. good turbo blankets are not cheap, this is a very fair price and about what i paid for mine. a good blanket is heavy, thick, very durable, and heck looks good too. here is a pick of mine installed that is very similar to this and in black!

DSC00843.jpg

DSC00844.jpg

That looks great. In your opinion would it even benefit to have them made a bit smaller?

i don't think so, it looks big, but its very thick and fits snug on the turbine housing. if it were smaller it would have to have less packing and the cheaper blankets that don't have the mass these do are the ones i've seen break down quickly and melt to the turbine housing.

Well that saves some hassel. I really didn't expect anyone to want one here, but what is really valuable to me is the feedback which I have received. As for melting, here is a run down of how they are made.

The outerskin of the blanket is made of fiberglass impregnated with teflon. It provides a better chemical and temperature resistance than that of the others. The insulation layer is made of high temperature material. The inside lining is made of high temp resistance fiber glass. Most blankets out in the market does not have this layer. The blankets are stitched together with fiber glass thread. The operating temperature for the thread is 1000F so there won't be a premature failure of the thread. It's also double stitched to ensure longeivity.

I'd like to buy one

I'd like to buy one

Hello Keyser, I'd like to go in on this.

I have a Garrett model TA3405, part# 466159-5003.

Black is good.

Can you send me contact info for this guy? Is there a different plan?

Maybe you could post this in the "Group Buy."

Thanks!

Being that the majority are used on T4's with no internal gate, I can't say with 100% certainty. I don't really see it being an issue, but I have no experience to back that up.

The guy I order from is dealing with his father's health issues so I haven't contacted him recently. Admittedly, I've been busy creating the site anyway. I will drop him a line and check on his productivity.

Back