• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trunk Lid

davidw99

New CEG'er
When I open the trunk lid with key or the lever in the car the lip doesn't pop open. It does unlock but it doesn't lift up at all by it self. This is different than any other car I've owned. I replaced the trunk struts but didn't help this issue (although the lid does stay up now when opened). I was wondering if this is normal for the trunk lid on Contours or if mine needs a repair.

These cars don't pop up they function how yours currently is. So all is normal.

But there are a few who have fitted spring poppers from a..mercury cougar? to aid in the "pop up" function. There's a thread somewhere about it.

The part number is: 1S8Z-63431B04-AA

This is completely normal. The trunk lid does not pop all the way open. Do note that there are at least three different trunk struts for trunks with no spoiler, with a lip spoiler and one with a spoiler.

People add the spring to help open the trunk when it will not pop out of the locking mechanism to stay unlocked. IE having to lift up on the trunk lid while unlocking. Some have reported that new struts would also improve this. The most the spring opens up the lid is like 1/2 inch, or something like that. Its not going to cause the trunk to open enough where the struts would open it the rest of the way.

X2 to that but that little half inch is important if you have something in one hand, why I added that popper spring.

Back