• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

True duals?

trhlz1222

Veteran CEG'er
i got msds headers in now. its a pretty much stock 2.5 other then headers wires intake. i have magnaflow mufflers on it #14832. wondering if i would see much difference in volume if i was to put a new y-pipe on with true duals also. performance mods for later down the road include a turbo and possible 3L. would the true duals sound better then wat i have now or will it be even more raspy on high rpms?

well true duals would eliminate the y-pipe as you would be running to exhuast pipes, one for each bank of the engine to the back of the car ... I believe you would end up wanting to add a X-pipe to the setup also.

should be plenty of info on this on the old forums

is there any difference in the gains between stazis true dual setup and the one like off changs car that has bends in it? also has anyone tried to run true duals under the side skirts and out of the jack point cover? kinda like old stingrays had and some of the more modded stangs have?

Last edited:
not true duals, but a few did run side exhaust to the rear jackpoint cover. I know at the very least, I have pictures of hector's old zetec looking like that. I dont think it's very safe as the jack point cover isn't far enough behind the rear door. It would be pointing at your passenger's legs/shins still.

how would it hurt the passengers legs? i mean i understand heat wise but that would only come into effect if people actually got into the back and second if they were standing in the rear. right? can i see pictures of it or dont you have them accessable? i want to try this on the svt but unsure if its safe for the car and how raspy it would become without the space for a muffler

steeda has done this as well
and i wouldnt run exhaust through the side skirts for fear of heat damage

Last edited:
Stazi doesn't have true duals

I gained 12hp and 15ft/tq at the wheels with my true dual set up. Also no real need for a X pipe on this engine. It shouldn't make a difference either way technically

coming out the side skirt would look lame!!!

Stazi doesn't have true duals

I gained 12hp and 15ft/tq at the wheels with my true dual set up. Also no real need for a X pipe on this engine. It shouldn't make a difference either way technically

coming out the side skirt would look lame!!!

the reason for the xpipe was to reduce raspy cause i already have alot on high rpms. and the exhuast out the sdie would look good with a angled tip flush to the jack point cover. cut a whole in the jack point and sand it so its rounded and have the tip sstick out about 1/8 of an inch

Raspy? A xpipe isn't going to solve that. Sounds like more thought should have gone into your system. Mine sounded like pure sex at High RPM's

2 18" resonators
2 Magnaflow mufflers

no x pipe
Sho-shop y pipe cut apart and mated to the rest of the exhuast

staggered right after the rear header meets the exhuast. pretty much in the stock location

i can post pics of my setup, the bends arent perfect, but i like it...

i had a y-pipe from BAT that i removed the 2in/1out cat from and was left with jsut the pipes, and i have a magnaflow cat, flex, magnaflow resonator and then bends back to supertrapp on each one!

sounds good, and does the job!

Last edited:
what size are the pipes that you guys have with truduals? i could amagine anything bigger than 2 1/4 because dont both the pipes have to run paralell in the exhaust channel?

what size are the pipes that you guys have with truduals? i could amagine anything bigger than 2 1/4 because dont both the pipes have to run paralell in the exhaust channel?

i run 2" piping, anything bigger is overkill... i do have one sound bite somewhere, i'll ahve to locate it or take another one, but i have an exhasut leak somewhere, i think where the one side connects to the headers, so i'll tighten it up before i make a sound clip!

Back