• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

trubendz fitting issues

fordpower

New CEG'er
Just wondering if anyone has had problems with the alignment of the y-pipe like I THINK I have. The original y-pipe on my contour SVT attaches to my borla system at an angle of 10 or so degrees off center, the trubendz is welded 180 degrees horizontally. I contacted Trubendz and they said the WHOLE pipe is made at an angle so it fits to the original layout?If you lay the two flat on the floor the Ford unit is at an angle but the trubendz is flat? I didn't tighten the front flange all the way snug but I tightened the rear cylinder and the hanger which went on the original stud was tight but there was no way I could see how the pipe was going to twist enough to line up with the rear flange. It needs to move about a half inch to allow the bolts thru. If anyone can give an idea or two so I don't keep calling the guys at trubendz liars ,please respond, thanks

Just wondering if anyone has had problems with the alignment of the y-pipe like I THINK I have. The original y-pipe on my contour SVT attaches to my borla system at an angle of 10 or so degrees off center, the trubendz is welded 180 degrees horizontally. I contacted Trubendz and they said the WHOLE pipe is made at an angle so it fits to the original layout?If you lay the two flat on the floor the Ford unit is at an angle but the trubendz is flat? I didn't tighten the front flange all the way snug but I tightened the rear cylinder and the hanger which went on the original stud was tight but there was no way I could see how the pipe was going to twist enough to line up with the rear flange. It needs to move about a half inch to allow the bolts thru. If anyone can give an idea or two so I don't keep calling the guys at trubendz liars ,please respond, thanks

Does your y-pipe come with a flex pipe?

Try this...disconnect the y-pipe from the hanger....if it uses the hanger.
Tighten down the front bolts...so it the rear is left hanging.... Loosen the front end of your exhaust...by removing it from the hangers...then connect the flange to the borla flange. Then tighten down the exhaust....then try to hang it again...you might have to bend the hanger to hang it after this.

Try this..:shrug:

will try again

will try again

Thanks 'big harry' I was just a bit flustered the first time since things didn't line up, but next try I will do some manipulating of the pipe to see. Yes it does have a flex pipe that allows up/down or side/side movement but not any twist. Once more under the car we go, thanks

Thanks 'big harry' I was just a bit flustered the first time since things didn't line up, but next try I will do some manipulating of the pipe to see. Yes it does have a flex pipe that allows up/down or side/side movement but not any twist. Once more under the car we go, thanks

Well if you do what i recommended it will work....its probably holding it in a different position due to the hangers position. Def remove the catback from the hanger and then attach the whole system together.

Keep me updated....this is a new problem with the trubendz that i have heard.

Well if you do what i recommended it will work....its probably holding it in a different position due to the hangers position. Def remove the catback from the hanger and then attach the whole system together.

Keep me updated....this is a new problem with the trubendz that i have heard.

I had this problem too, basically its getting one pipe in to deep and another in to shallow. I just kinda shoved it all together real quick at first and it sucked.

Once I got everything right, it was perfect.

trubendz issues, resolved?????

trubendz issues, resolved?????

Well 'HARRRY' I finally got them on, definitely not an EASY bolt on, had to do some major manipulating of the flang mounts to get them to seat. Did what you said to try and it was helpful but still took awhile to get done. The rear banks flange still does not mate up to the manifold perfectly, so I cranked down on the bolts to suck it up, it seams to seal but the flang plates are bent a bit. Does make a bit more rumble but sounds nice, will find out how well it works when we drive it out west. I still think someone welded it at wrong angles either the rear bank pipe or the rear mounting plate. Thanks again, happy motoring

Well 'HARRRY' I finally got them on, definitely not an EASY bolt on, had to do some major manipulating of the flang mounts to get them to seat. Did what you said to try and it was helpful but still took awhile to get done. The rear banks flange still does not mate up to the manifold perfectly, so I cranked down on the bolts to suck it up, it seams to seal but the flang plates are bent a bit. Does make a bit more rumble but sounds nice, will find out how well it works when we drive it out west. I still think someone welded it at wrong angles either the rear bank pipe or the rear mounting plate. Thanks again, happy motoring

They could have welded them wrong. Because they are suppose to be straight. But when i was putting on my bat down pipe...it wouldn't fit. So i dropped my rear exhaust and connected them both. Then i bent the hangers from the resonator location to the back mufflers so they seat properly and then hung the exhaust. Which caused my left side pipe to sit up higher.:crazy:

Then i had no choice but to bend that hanger a bit to make the exhaust sit right.

Did you by any chance buy a new gasket when you did this?

Mine didnt perfectly line up with my stock manifold either, you just have to walk the nuts on just right cause otherwise you will pull the Y more towards one manifold than the other and then it wont line up at all. After I had it on for a while of course now it lines up perfect whenever I take it off. Lined up perfect when I swapped my headers in too, but you still dont want to completely tighten one flange down without lining up the other one and getting the nuts and bolts started well enough that its not gonna move around.

Only problem I had with my y-pipe is the flange between the Y and the rest of the exhaust seemed to be an inch or two too far back. The pipe just seemed like it was an inch or two too long. When I bolted up my exhaust the first time I could barely stretch the isolater far enough to catch the hanger on the car and the exhaust in the front of my cat back.

I just finished installing a TrueBenz y pipe on my SVT. THe 2-bolt flange didnot line up with my exhaust either. I think that the jig the Trubenz is using is either off or Ford changed things a bit when they made them.

To get mine to line up I cut the pipe behind the resonator and bought a 2 1/4 in. ID piece of exhaust pipe and slipped it over both cut ends. This allowed me to rotate the resonator that small amount to get the two flanges to line up. I then use two muffler clamps to keep things together. At some later date I will weld the cut but I was way to tired to do it then.

I didn't want to force things together as that could lead to something breaking over time.
I had purchased the Y pipe because I thought I had a stock Y pipe going bad. I had an exhaust leak. It turns out that the flange on the Bank #1 exhaust manifold had cracked off! The Y pipe held it in place but once the piece cracked off completely I had the obvious leak. I had to remove it and weld the flange back on then re-install it. What a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:!

trubendz issues

trubendz issues

No Harrry I used the gasket supplied with it but did have to buy a couple nuts and bolts for the front manifold since the Ford unit has them as part of the flange. I did send some photos to Trubendz and he said he can see what I was talking about and maybe the JIG was off abit, just like I heard mentioned in here. I just hope the quality of this compares to the original and can it last for years since my Ford unit still looks great.

Back