• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tranny Help in Portland

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
Howdy,
Some of you may have read about my Tour blowing it's ATX tranny. If anyone can provide me with some help or advice on this please PM me.
Thanks,
Aussie Ford

I did none of the work on my tranny myself. The place that dropped my manual trans and put it back in (after upgrades by a distant shop) was on Cornelius Pass Road in Hillsboro, and they have the '98 Ford service manual on their computer if that helps.

Labor time dealing with that front subframe is not cheap.

You'll want some way to raise your car, a todras service manual CD and good air tools if you try tackling a pull/swap in another used automatic/install yourself.

I did none of the work on my tranny myself. The place that dropped my manual trans and put it back in (after upgrades by a distant shop) was on Cornelius Pass Road in Hillsboro, and they have the '98 Ford service manual on their computer if that helps.

Labor time dealing with that front subframe is not cheap.

You'll want some way to raise your car, a todras service manual CD and good air tools if you try tackling a pull/swap in another used automatic/install yourself.
Thank you, I have the CD and have printed the info for pulling / installing, but things are still up in the air as to what the plan will be. To me, it doesn't make sense to in stall a used tranny. Three blocks down the street after install it could just as well go bang again. Then all you have is the opportunity to do it again smarter. I think if I do it myself I'd like some help from someone that has done a tranny pull before. Then I would install a rebuilt one so that at least I'd have a warranty on it other than 30 seconds or 30 feet :)

Back