• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Towns to live in around Victorville area?

Steeda...

Something Like a Professional
What nice towns are out that way? Found some decent places in San bernadino but its a 50 min drive to adelanto.

IS victorville nice?

I don't know where you live now so it is hard to compare.

Victorville is desert area, as is Adelanto. I've known several people that have moved to that area over the years. They love it and would not think of moving back "down the hill" to the San Bernardino or anywhere else in the greater Los Angeles area.

The two areas up there that i like best are Victorville and Apple Valley. But then, I'm not a desert person so neither one really appeals to me. To me, the best part of that area is that it isn't that far from the mountain areas of Big Bear and Arrowhead.

I don't know where you live now so it is hard to compare.

Victorville is desert area, as is Adelanto. I've known several people that have moved to that area over the years. They love it and would not think of moving back "down the hill" to the San Bernardino or anywhere else in the greater Los Angeles area.

The two areas up there that i like best are Victorville and Apple Valley. But then, I'm not a desert person so neither one really appeals to me. To me, the best part of that area is that it isn't that far from the mountain areas of Big Bear and Arrowhead.

Subbarbs of detroit right now. The west side in garden city, close to livonia and westland.

The main thing that seperates Victorville and San Bernardino is the amount of time that it will take to get to work. Skiing is highly important to me assuming I won't be in Iraq or somewhere in the winter or something

Moving to the desert will be a big change, but overall the weather there is nicer than Detroit. Winter is not nearly as cold, and the heat is dry so it isn't as unpleasant.

You need to travel there and look around.

Until you go "down the hill" there isn't nearly the population density that you are accostomed to.

Ya ill be there sunday. I bet it feels cooler than KC does in the summer. Some of the days there it would be so hot we would be ordered to carry water and not wear BDU tops(not that i ever did anyhow).

I'm looking forward to the chance to move out there and get back in the Aerospace field.

Subbarbs of detroit right now.

detroit education ftw! :laugh:

General Atomics is out there, in Adelanto. they make the Predator. my cousin works there :)

good point brought up about being near Big Bear. its also not too far from Wrightwood (Mtn. High). if you do move down here ill definitely hit the slopes with ya. snowboarding ftw!

if you do take the job, you may end up eventually transferring to the vegas site. vegas is a pretty cool place to live. vegas is also only about a two hour drive from victorville, up the 15. LA is about an hour and a half to two hours and san diego is just a few hours down the 15.

Victorville has gotten pretty big. its not like you'd be moving to "Raising Arizona" type area :laugh:

I spent like 6 hours last night going through all my paper work from the USAF. What a nightmare that was.

Whats your cousin do there? From what I was told i will mainly be stuck in adelanto for 90 days then 90 in a hot zone.

Got all the info on flight and everything last night. Seems in going to Palmdale grey butte? on monday

Staying in Victorville at the hilton.

I spent like 6 hours last night going through all my paper work from the USAF. What a nightmare that was.

Whats your cousin do there? From what I was told i will mainly be stuck in adelanto for 90 days then 90 in a hot zone.

Got all the info on flight and everything last night. Seems in going to Palmdale grey butte? on monday

Staying in Victorville at the hilton.

going to palmdale grey butte?? wtf? :confused:

youre flying in to Ontario, staying in Victorville, interviewing at the sight in Adelanto, in the butte in Palmdale? :laugh: how does palmdale figure into it?

going to palmdale grey butte?? wtf? :confused:

youre flying in to Ontario, staying in Victorville, interviewing at the sight in Adelanto, in the butte in Palmdale? :laugh: how does palmdale figure into it?

This is what i was sent.

Ontario International Airport to Hilton Garden Inn, Victorville
Start out going SOUTH on Tower St. toward Lindsay Privado Dr. (0.27 miles)
Tower St becomes Jurupa St. (1.29 miles)
Turn LEFT onto S Haven Ave. (1.19 miles)
Merge onto I-10 E. (1.39 miles)
Merge onto I-15 N toward BARSTOW/LAS VEGAS. (36.26 miles)
Take the Bear Valley Rd exit toward LUCERNE VALLEY. (0.33 miles)
Turn RIGHT onto Bear Valley Rd. (0.06 miles)
Turn LEFT onto Mariposa Rd. (0.17 miles)
End at Hilton Garden Inn at 12603 Mariposa Rd Victorville, CA 92395-6009 US
(Phone: 760-952-1200)

Total Estimated Time: 41 minutes
Total Distance: 40.96 miles

To Gray Butte facility
Take RIGHT out of Hilton Garden Inn onto Mariposa Rd.
Turn LEFT onto Palmdale Road West (drive about 12 mi past HWY 395)
Turn RIGHT on Sheep Creek Road (Road dead ends into EL Mirage Road)
Turn LEFT on El Mirage Road
Drive about 10 mi until road dead ends
Take LEFT on 240th Street E
Road will turn left, follow around until you reach gate, and tell the guard you are there for an interview.
Our address is: 25500 East Avenue R-8, Palmdale, CA 93591

From checking Yahoo Maps (my preferred mapping program, better than MapQuest or Google Maps) it is about 35 miles from the hotel to the interview address. All desert. I'm guessing that they sent you that way to avoid heavy traffic. Palmdale (and Lancaster next to it) are close to Edward AFB.

Its weird, if you type in palmdale it takes you to a diff adress than if you put in the zip code. Still looks like about 50 mins or soo to get there maybe?

Its weird, if you type in palmdale it takes you to a diff adress than if you put in the zip code. Still looks like about 50 mins or soo to get there maybe?

when you speak with my cousin he'll give you the scoop. he said it's a real PITA to find the facility.

Ill give him a call if I have time today. Super busy between getting everything together to go, and trying to get caught up with everything here

The directions are kinda odd, as the city of Palmdale does not stracth that far out. If you like the cooler climes, look at Whrightwood or Lake Arrowhead to live. Wrightwood is likely a little cheaper. You could also check out the Palmdale/Lancaster area for housing. My wife and I just moved out of Lancaster. But while there, my wife worked at the Federal Prison, next to General Atomics. It would only take her about 45 minutes to get to/from work on surface streets. Lancaster/Palmdale has a little more civilization than Victorville, plus you're that much closer to LACR (a dragstrip) and Willow Springs (one of the best road courses)! As well as us CEG'ers in the LA area.

I have lived in Victorville, Apple Valley, and Hesperia. The high desert is VERY dry, so be prepared for that. Back in the 80's it was a very nice place to live. But lately the riff-raff from LA have moved up there and ruined it in my opinion. They also use the desert as a huge DUMP and it is just disgusting because it used to be pristine and very nice. It hurts my heart and soul to see what it has become when I visit my relatives still living there.

Back