• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

To unlock an XCAL 2

Sometimes you can get someone to get it unlocked for cheaper. Call all the dealers around you, find the best quote. Most places will tell you the same price but keep calling and mabye someone will be cheaper. Especially if you are egtting a tune from said person. I bought a locked DS predator and XCal2 for $100, kept the Xcal2 and sold the pred.

What is needed to unlock an XCAL 2 that is tuned for a different car?

if the xcal has any unlocks left (you can view number of unlocks, i think it comes with 5) and the previous car was returned to stock, you can download the software called liveload from SCT, and plug in you xcal via USB and click "unlock" right in the liveload software. Just did it yesterday for my friend who purchased a used xcal. Remember, the previous car needs to be flashed back to stock. software is free to download.

I believe that's ok... if someone has loaded their car with a file...then sold you the Xcal....it would have the option of "return vehicle to stock"

If it doesn't have that I think you're ok

I guess someone could have bought the Xcal tuned there car and then sold it on Ebay because they were happy with there tune. Normally to unlock it you have to load the stock tune back into the vehical so people can't tune other vehicals with it. I guess with my PRP software it may be slightly different because I've never noticed a "return to stock" option. Sounds like you can pay SCT to unlock it though.

The PRP has nothing to do with the locked xcal2. Once you load your xcal2 into a car it has to be returned to stock.
You just didn't notice it on your xcal2 because you haven't been scrolling down the list of options I'd think.

Also you can pay SCT to unlock it but you pay about what a new xcal2 would cost, or close to it. Then you have a used one and no support.

It is better if you can afford to do it to just pay for the tune and the xcal2 at the same time and try to get a bargain.

Both Nautilus and Brenspeed will offer a 'deal' on the tune when bought with the xcal2. Notice we can't offer the xcal2 below $379 advertised price but we can make a package deal quite attractive as our website suggests.

The moral is this story is don't buy a used XCAL with the OEM program in it. From what I have read any "unlock" you get from SCT will not include a tune! Include the price of a tune and yet again more shipping charges to the bill.

For that matter I can't fathom why so many people buy the XCAL flasher and not the multi-position chip? I'd pick multiple tunes on the fly verses a static PCM flash every day of the week. I'd never give up my multi-position chip!
Also how does that multi-tune chip work if you can only load one XCAL tune at a time???

{edit} okay it looks like their multi-position chip is completely different from their XCAL2 series. So does it only work with their PSP software? Their site does not give any specific details. It had certainly better for the sky high price tag!

Last edited:
Last I heard you have to buy the chip burner, chip and the PRP in order to do it all yourself.
Steep price tag there but if you are really into your car that is the way to go.

I've been fine with one really good tune to do everything except nitrous. On a turbo there is no real need to get separate tunes. If you put in race gas then crank the boost and the tune should be adapted for that already.

I like the Xcal over the chip for the datalogging and code reading... Not that great of advantage but I know a lot of people like to be able to read their own codes. I've used it (for code reading) on 3 or 4 different fords then just my contour :)

The moral is this story is don't buy a used XCAL with the OEM program in it. From what I have read any "unlock" you get from SCT will not include a tune! Include the price of a tune and yet again more shipping charges to the bill.

For that matter I can't fathom why so many people buy the XCAL flasher and not the multi-position chip? I'd pick multiple tunes on the fly verses a static PCM flash every day of the week. I'd never give up my multi-position chip!
Also how does that multi-tune chip work if you can only load one XCAL tune at a time???

{edit} okay it looks like their multi-position chip is completely different from their XCAL2 series. So does it only work with their PSP software? Their site does not give any specific details. It had certainly better for the sky high price tag!

FYI the XCal2 lets you choose from 3 different tunes to load so it's similar to a flip chip only it takes more time to load up the new tune vs. flipping a switch.

ok guys well after looking into it a bit further I saw that right above the setting that says status aftermarket tune it says 5 tunes left, or 5 resets left I forget exactly what it said. Then I went above to the tune D/Ler and I put return car to stock. While it was doing its thing the Xcal said wrong vehicle.... so do I have to send it to SCT now or do I have the livewire option?

On the fly, engine running. :p :D

Check out our site now.

www.nautilusperformance.com

I updated it to show the chips that are available. Our multiposition chip can do five tunes with a rotory dial cable. Single position chips are also available.

I'd like to get some of these chips out there too. The only drawback is you need a chip burner if you want to load tunes from email. You as the customer can buy the Pro racer pack, then buy the chip burner and a 5 position chip with remote cable to select them on the fly. It would just cost more than the tweecer.
BUT, at least these SCT codes/chips can fit ford cars from 1985-2005. Quite the range don't you think?

ok guys well after looking into it a bit further I saw that right above the setting that says status aftermarket tune it says 5 tunes left, or 5 resets left I forget exactly what it said. Then I went above to the tune D/Ler and I put return car to stock. While it was doing its thing the Xcal said wrong vehicle.... so do I have to send it to SCT now or do I have the livewire option?

Still waiting on a reply for this....

thanks.. how can I get intouch with James so I can work out a wat to get it there and pay for s/h?

According to James, you need to work with an authorized reseller and have them obtain an RMA from SCT. Once the RMA # is obtained, it doesn't matter either you or the reseller to send in the unit for unlock. And you can also specify the return address to yourself, not the reseller.

You can get more information from SCT's forum. If you don't have a reseller, you can ask on the forum. Many resellers are willing to do that for you. I just don't know if there's a fee associated.

I have similar situation. I bought a brand new looking XCal2 from ebay but it's locked. I need to get it unlocked some time later.

Back