• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

to lose the body moldings and pin stripe, or not to lose

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
i was looking at my car today and was thinking about taking off the side moldings and pin stripe, but i figured i'd ask everyones opinion first. I dont like the blue stripe down the side, so either i'm gonna take it off or do a new black stripe... wat do u guys think, remove moldings and stripe, or leave them alone and change the blue to black, or just leave it alone, its fine???

Junkyardrun001.jpg

remove moldings and stripe then leave it alone:eek:

make sure your car hasnt been repainted on any parts where the moldings are before you yank em off

what scott said...

Check the paint below the body moldings and what not before hand, on my pre98 the clearcoat was chipping underneath the ding strips, which meant if I took the ding strips off it would look worse then leaving them on. I personally like that style of ding strip.

I would leave it and go have a beer instead. :cool:

What about that Dodge Omni in the background? That yours, too?

remove moldings and stripe then leave it alone:eek:

make sure your car hasnt been repainted on any parts where the moldings are before you yank em off

my thoughts exactly, and for sure loose the pin striping

I would leave it and go have a beer instead. :cool:

What about that Dodge Omni in the background? That yours, too?

i first of all HATE beer, and damn that is one hell of an eye. It was my girlfriends first car and yea, it was a 1990 Dodge Omni, not horizon. she just sold it about 2-3 weeks ago for this...

GandAm019.jpg

Its a 95 Grand Am SE w/ a 2.3 quad 4 w/ auto tranny. the interior was rotted so we replaced it... i dont have pics of the finished product yet and we still have to get paint and instal the GT spoiler.

Does anyone have pics of a contour or mystique w/o side moldings? i just wanna know wat it would look like w/o them, and wats the easiest way to remove the pin stripe?

is the stripe a sticker or paint?

no moldings
765f1c98.jpg

Copy4ofPicture032.jpg

Last edited:
When I did mine, I mixed a rum and coke, then went to town with my fingernail. Car was about three days old (from when I bought it). Wife caught me mid-stripe, yelled for messing with the new car already. The other side had to wait another week.:eek: :laugh:

Here's what she looks like now (the car, not my wife) :laugh:
mm8zf3.jpg

Last edited:
Back