• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tire size suggestions

Sl33stak

CEG'er
I have some 17"s with 215/40/17 Yoko's right now, but I hate the sidewall being so thin. Can anyone suggest a tire size that would offer a more comfortable ride and maybe year round use? The ones I have right now suck in the snow.

215/45-17 or 225/45-17 would be close to "stock" diameter. Why not look for someone's cast-off E0 or E1 16" stockers and slap on some 205/55-16 dedicated winter tires?

Last edited:
For what it's worth, Laura's presently shod with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s in 215/50-16. Even given the stock size, I expect these tires to be half-assed in the snow. The size of your tires is playing a part, yes, but it's the style of tire, too. Unless you want to run an all-season, you may be stuck doing the snow tire hokey pokey every winter and spring.

If you're most concerned with the tire size at this point, a return to the stock specs is probably your best bet. If you end up running snows, you could get away with 205/55-16.

Back