• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

timing belt

They're only like $20. If you had a machine shop locally, they could probably fabricate you one. .020" IIRC.

Actually it's 0.2" thick. (Something only .02" thick would be about the thickness of a credit card. ;))

You can find a timing set on Ebay for $20 shipped. I know it's the best $20 I've spent in a while...

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...trt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32&fsoo=2

I'd also highly recommend replacing your tensioner and idler pulley(s). The Pre-98 Zetecs have two idlers with the 98+ Zetecs have only on idler.

I just replaced the entire timing system on my MTX with 183k on it. The 40mm idler had bad bearings and was starting to seize and melt. The 60mm idler's bearings were also going but what scared me was that it had cracks all around the plastic around the bearing. Could have been a catastrophic failure.

HTH,
BP

Well, looks like I have to change the timing belt on the wifes 98 GL Zetec with VCT.

I see alot of stuff on here that says non-interference, and to buy special tools which I don't have a problem doing...

However:

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/c6/93/0900823d801bc693/repairInfoPages.htm

says it is an interference motor, and it was turned over quite a few times to try out different things before removing the timing belt cover to check it, possible that i am screwed?

It is indeed a non-interference engine. autozone, haynes, and chiltons all say it is interference for some reason though.

Anyone have a part number for this tool I need to order for the timing? Or can tell me how to time the cams on a post 98 VCT motor?

Thanks!

You get a peice of .2" metal, turn the cams until you can slide it under them. Theres a notch in the bottom for the holder. The crank has a mark on it.

I wouldn't trust the marks. Get the timing wrong with the VCT and you will get a code and have to do it again. Do it right the first time.

Back