• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Thinking of getting Forged Pistons and Have Q's

surfscape

New CEG'er
Ford has stopped producing pistons for my Duratec 30 (Escape) and only sell the short block now. Since I want to build it myself and the cost of the Short block is more than a re-build kit and the custom pistons... I have some things to consider.

I was running a KB supercharger but the tune was not quite right it seems. Even though I could not hear any knock I seems I got it and I broke some ring lands on one piston. I know a better tune (dyno) is in order but first I must work the block.

So on to pistons. Any suggestions on brand? Should I lower the compression (I'd like to run my 9 lbs pulley again)? What should I lower it to if I do ( 9 1/2, 9)? What would the lower compression do to off the line and low end performance? Would I need to change anything in the tune to compensate for the lower compression ( I don't think so but thought I'd ask).

THanks in advance for any help here...:help:

From what my experience was...I would 9:1...and have a reputable machine shop prep the block and measure for the pistons...then get those specs to whatever company you decided to use...I used Diamond.

What Stilov said. There are 6 different variations of the 3.0 block that we found out the hard way. I assumed they would all be the same, ordered Stilov his pistons only to find out they were .040 to small. I had to buy Stilov new pistons after his machinist gave me the correct specs. It's an expensive lesson to learn. If you have the grade block with the smaller bore I can get you a SMOKIN deal on some pistons. :blackeye:

I also agree with his compression choice. With a KB 9:1 will be just fine. Do they offer 93 octane where you live?

I have two blocks to choose from. One is stock and on is .010 over. In reading on the internets (I know bad thing to do) the stock 10/1 actually puts me in the optimum effective compression ratio with a 8-9 lb boost. I want to build in reliability as it is my daily driver right now, so dropping the compression a bit would help but I don't want it to be a dog either until the boost kicks in (2000 RPM). I have looked into the Diamond Pistons and will likely go with that especially if someone here have used them and got good results.

What is the Diameter of the pistons you have left over? !!!! ?

Last edited:
Back